Blue Dots 2006 Hog Stories/Pics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Just got in after 630 miles of driving. Ole Loggy's ass is draggin to say the least. I shot this one yesterday afternoon (4/1 April Fools Day :lol: ) A perfect Day for my experience!!! :lol: Be a Looonnnngggg/funny Story in a day or 2 (when I recouperate) plus others from BD Gang when they return. Some major ribbing in store for Loggy! :lol: Had to come back today due to leavin out of town for work Tuesday. In short for now, a wonderful group of guys to hunt with & have a great time with!!! :D

392300.JPG

Hey Loggy! That looks like one pretty big hog there! Can't wait to hear the WHOLE story! :D

Nice one there Loggy! I cant wait to hear how the ol 91 did!!

Congrats!

JJ

Congrats Loggy!! Looks real green in the woods. I'm trying to figure out what the expression on your face is saying .... I'm certain more details will be revealed????

The sausage will no doubt be welcome, but what will the Mrs. say about another head! Looks like it would make a great mount, Loggy. :D
Congrats.........

Great pig, Loggy!]

But who is the fellar on the right side of the frame and why is he hiding behind a bush??? :huh?:

Loggy.. nice pig. I will be waiting to hear the whole story. Sounds like all of you had fun and got back safe. That's the important thing.

Thanks guys!! Just woke up from much needed sleep. The guy on right of pic is second guide groover (i think) Daniel was taking pic.

Well, here goes. Me & a brave few ventured out Friday eve in the downpouring rain, lightning & wind. The smarter ones stayed back at camp. :lol: We still hunted & nothing sighted. Before getting back to truck I discharged my White Super 91 so I could start with a fresh charge on Saturday. I was totally soaked to the ass (so to speak :lol: ) even with rain gear on. The wind was making those off & on windswept rain almost unbearable. I was amazed my White even fired.

Saturday morning I hunted from treestand down near pond & saw 1 turkey, 2 squirrels & clint sneaking by twice. :lol: Since I had to leave yesterday Daniel & second guide(groover i think) said they would take me out with the hounds in the PM. Yesterday (Sunday was a total hound hunt i think).

We drove in on large ridge above pond & Daniel put the hounds out & they took off like a bat out of hell. In about 1/2 hour after driving in deeper we could hear them. Daniel could tell by barking sound they had some bayed-up. We headed towards dogs on foot (about 3 hundred or so yards away. Wind was in our face & daniel said things look good. We moved in slowly & about 40-50 yards I could see several Hogs behind a blow down moving around with dogs circling. Tough to pick one out to shoot. They finally I saw a LARGE HOG standing in some thick brush besides the blow down. Not too thick to shoot. I steadied up against a tree & centered those Leupold crosshairs exactly where I've been practicing to shoot. I slowly squeezed off and POP the unmistakable sound of just the primer popping!!! The Hogs took off down the mountain & all I could say was F@#*. Both Guides had a sick lookin smile (i think) on their faces & not sure whut my expression was. :lol: Daniel said put a nuther No.11 in & see if gun fires. I did and WHOOMMM!!! All I can surmise is that some moisture worked it way back into plug fire channel. I did ck with lite before loading & hole was clear. I should of completely tore gun down but felt that since it discharged Friday eve at end of hunt it would be ok.

Oh well, speedloader quickly had gun reloaded & we were off again chasing the hogs. We went down the mountain & finally caught up with dogs baying-up for second time. Ran into Bob Bowers(Super 91) & company near the dogs/hogs. They already had one or 2 in their sights but pulled back since they knew I was leaving for home early Sunday morn & this was my last chance. What a fine group of sportsmen!!!! :) :) :)

The hogs were ducking in & out of the thick laurel with dogs circling in & around . Finally I could pick out a Hog to shoot. About 40 yards max. I shot offhand squeezed off & Whoommm!!! Hog went down like a sack of potatoes. Then in a second or 2 it was back up on all 4's squeellin like hell & sorta anglin up towards Bowers but then turned running off to my right. I didnt have any time to reload so pulled my 45 out and shot 2 at its ass just trying to stop it. I wasnt lookin for a textbook shot at this point of my endeavor to say the least. The hog disappeared and we found blood everywhere & the dogs took off thru the thick stuff trailing it. I couldnt believe my eyes that a .504 460 No Excuse bullet hit didnt plant the hog!!!!

Daniel, grover & myself got on the blood trail...Daniel said he's bleedin good & wont go far. Wrong!! We trailed hog for about a 1/2 hour (heavy blood trail) for approx 3-4 hundred yards down over an embankment at the dammed up creek. Daniel yelled ....he's in the water!!! About that time I could see the hog (only see the head...looked like a hippo head :lol: ) & the dogs swimming around barkin, splashing & all Hell breakin loose. Daniel yelled shoot before he gets out of the water up into the thick laurel. Finally I could get a clear shot and shot & the hog was actually drilled that hard it was pushed across the water with water going up in the air like a valcano. Daniel said....YOU GOT HIM!!! Groover went in the water up to his ass & drug the hog out on the bank. ( Noticed he had hip boots on Yesterday morning :lol: ). Part of the Hogs one rear leg was chewed up from dog fights but butcher said very lil meat was damaged. One tough Hog for sure!! :lol:

Thats it. I thought this Hog Hunt would be easier than last years but one never knows. Think I'll get one of those lil .451's like Mehlig brags about. They dont travel quite as far as my .504 hit hogs. My first shot was high in the shoulder & the butcher couldnt believe the hog went anywhere. He showed me the backbone & it was actually severed /partially ground up by my first shot. The water shot was square in the boiler room at about 10 or less yards. I threw up & all I could see in scope was was Hog, dogs, water splashing etc at first & took a while to shoot. Thinking back should of used my 45 but with the Dogs raisin hell in the water & all else that was happening i stayed with the rifle.

Wyatts was closed Sat nite so we took to Lifelike Taxidermy to butcher they dont vac pack but make sausage & do a great job. They even saved the brains & heart for Loggy. Likely Daniel told him to. :lol:

Had a wonderful time with one the best group of guys one would ever want to hunt with!!! Much thanks to Blue Dot (Scott) for putting the hunt together. :yeah:

I look forward to more stories to come!!!

Man, that was a great story!!! Thanks for sharing loggy! Cant wait to hear the rest.. :lol:

Loggy said:
Well, here goes.

Good grief, Loggy-- that was a trophy-winning performance of gargantuan magnitude. :shock: I need to get a rootin' tootin' hoggy loggy fear factor mythbuster trophy for you?

But what of hog maw and moist brains n'eggs for breakfast? :shock:

RandyWakeman said:
Loggy said:
Well, here goes.

Good grief, Loggy-- that was a trophy-winning performance of gargantuan magnitude. :shock: I need to get a rootin' tootin' hoggy loggy fear factor mythbuster trophy for you?

But what of hog maw and moist brains n'eggs for breakfast? :shock:

Randy, while Scott & I were diligently preparing the breafast fare menu we recd a number of concerns about serving fried brains so we comprimised. Some Premium Grade PA Scrapple was substituted which has a beautiful blend of pork skin, pork heart, pork liver, pork tongue plus pork brains. Mixed with cornmeal & fried-up its out of this world. I believe at least 4 of the 11 ate it plus Guides of course. :lol: Also had pickled souse along which was mostly pigs feet & belly nuther comprimise from Hog Maw.....stomach) . It lasted only one day with Daniel gobbling-up much of it !!! :lol:

Clint brought along a breakfast bake which was outsstanding supplemented by Blue Dots wide array of fine venison cuts to boot! BD also brought 5 doz eggs which we didnt even get to (as of Sunday Morn) with all the other great stuff to eat.

Man Loggy, what an adventure!! Not exactly the way you planned it for sure. :lol: It all turned out OK so a great memory was born. Thanks for sharing with us.

Loggy -

All I can say is when a person books a trophy hunt, they expect an experience of a life time. Well you sure got your money's worth out of that. What an adventure. That will be one of those stories you can tell at all the gatherings and no one would get tired of it..

Congratulations on a great hog and a great adventure. That .504 did not plant him? thats because that hog had a little :evil: in him... Great hunt!!!

Thats it. I thought this Hog Hunt would be easier than last years but one never knows. Think I'll get one of those lil .451's like Mehlig brags about. They dont travel quite as far as my .504 hit hogs.

Well Loggy..Hogs ARE tough! Out of four hogs shot last year with Whites...Eds was put down in short order(.45), JJs was a clean kill(.50), mine went about 30yds or maybe slightly more and I shot it again although it made no attempts to go anywhere(.45), and Bob shot his a time or two(.45). I'm still thinking the .50cal is the BEST way to go for hogs when using a White.

Really enjoyed your story!

I know the other guys are probably still on the road, and I just got in myself after a few detours. I'll be posting pics and my side of the story as well in a day or so, once I get the time to download some pics and type the story.

But the hunt was great, the guys were great, and it was an incredible non-forgettable weekend for all of us.

Thanks Scott!! You did one heck of a job, and the Boar Blast Hats were a great keepsake. Lots of FUN!! :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back