bolt hard to close

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coop

Reaction score
I have had my 10MLII for a couple of months now. Oh what a joy to shoot! I do have a question about the bolt. When a put a primer in and close the bolt, it seems that I have to use more force then I would like to completely close it. I have checked to make sure that the breech plug is tight. Is this a common thing? Does anyone have any little tricks or suggestions.

I found this sight by chance from a posting by Randy Wakeman on another site. I just want to let everyone know how great this site is!

Jeff

You can change to a different brand of primer..sometimes that helps a bunch. I have 'em from tight to very easy with the same brand of primer. Unless the breechplug is backing out, it's really nothing to worry about...

Welcome aboard COOP! Glad to have you here!I have had the same experience.As Chuck told you,do not worry about it unless your plug is backing out.

coop said:
When a put a primer in and close the bolt, it seems that I have to use more force then I would like to completely close it.
Yeah, mine is that way to. Doesn't seem to matter what brand of 209 primer either. Just a minor inconvenience though.

BTW, welcome aboard. Glad to have another Savage shooter here!

Nic_58,
how does the primers come out after firing? Do they stick or come right out? It has been my experience that a tight fitting primer causing the bolt to be somewhat harder to close is a good thing and usually keeps the primer anvil from coming out sticking spent primer in primer carrier.
Pocampo

The primer comes right out, no problem. By the way, I didn't even think about different primers loading different. I have been using regular CCI primers from my shotshell reloading.

coop - I had the same problem with the Federal primers, they were really tight. I switched to Winchester primers and now have no problems. Another thing that I found to make closing the bolt easier is to point the barrel vertically into the air as I close the bolt. This seems to make the primer "sit" correctly on the bolt face making it easier to close the bolt.

coop said:
I have had my 10MLII for a couple of months now. Oh what a joy to shoot! I do have a question about the bolt. When a put a primer in and close the bolt, it seems that I have to use more force then I would like to completely close it.

Jeff, I'd sure try Winchester 209s before going any farther.

Coop,

I have tried WW,Fed and CCI in my HB 10MLII and all go in and come out easily. As mentioned, perhaps another brand would work better.

Randy,

Is this problem related to barrel "headspacing" tolerances or breechplug machining tolerances? Just curious.

Maybe a bit of both- I was informed savage barrels a not "indexed" but aligned for the sights then the barrel nut is tightened- Randy said on his MLII just the nose of the primer goes into the breech plug- I inked a primer and cycled it through- more than half of the primer goes into the breech plug on both of my MLII's ---as you can tell where the ink rubbed off....Rick

Pocampo said:
Nic_58,
how does the primers come out after firing? Do they stick or come right out?
Well, it seems that I have quite a few that stick on the bolt face after firing and have to close the bolt and pull the trigger to get them to come off. That gets kinda old after awhile. I bought a new batch of Federal 209A's this week that I'm gonna try next time out and see how they do.

If the new batch sticks, try different brands. My guns like CCI 209M's.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Well, it seems that I have quite a few that stick on the bolt face after firing and have to close the bolt and pull the trigger to get them to come off. That gets kinda old after awhile.

Same here with every 10ML-II I have...

I had a gunsmith drill my breechplug out to fit the primer I was using(Federal). Now the bolt works very smooth. I bought the gun to shoot it, not fight it. Btw, before I had it drilled Winchester's didn't work very well either. :wink:

Bwana said:
Why not stick with the recommended WW209's ?
The primers I've been using that stick on the bolt face ARE Winchester 209's! The Federal 209A's that I picked up this week fit the breechplug about the same as the Winchesters and with about the same amount of resistance when locking the bolt down. I just haven't had a chance to get out and shoot the gun with them yet.

That's just part of the beauty of muzzleloading.......trying out ALL the different components and techniques!

Bwana said:

Just because they are recommended doesn't mean that it's written stone! I too want to enjoy shooting, not fight it every shot. I take their recommendation as just that, a recommendation. If they worked easily, I'd use them.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Bwana said:

Oh..I've tried MOST of 'em!

2005miscpics%20040.jpg

Chuck, you got a ways to go. That pile isn't even close to the scope box pile.... :shock: :D

Blue-Dot-37.5

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
Chuck, you got a ways to go. That pile isn't even close to the scope box pile.... :shock: :D

Blue-Dot-37.5

That's by NO means ALL I HAVE! :wink: Just to show VARIETY! 8)

Latest posts

Back