Bore Butter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:yeah: I can't tell you how many people I've seen just run a dry patch through the bore before shooting,and thinking they have removed all the rust protection,oil BB,or whatever. Then they wonder why they get a build up? :roll: A dry patch won't cut it! You have to remove ALL the trace elements. I've used hot water,many times,only to go back and use a good solvent,and a brush and get more out of the bore. Any time you shoot a projectile down the bore of ANY gun,you leave some of that projectile behind! In a high power rifle it's copper from the bullet jacket,with a sabot it's plastic from the sabot,and with lead it's lead from the bullet. Leaving anything in the bore,only compounds the problem.

I don't think rust in your bore is a issue,UNLESS! You store your guns out in the unheated garage,or live in an area of very high humidity. My guns stay in my safe with a Golden Rod dehumidifier,most are put away with a dry bore,and no rust yet. :D

I guess there are a lot of different procedures one can follow. AS for me, I have always cleaned my barrels (regular and/or stainless steel) with hot, soapy water, a bore brush and patches, followed by a warm water rinse, patches, then a shot of boiling water down the barrel. That's followed up by two or three dry patches, wait until the barrel cools down, than running a patch coated with Bore Butter.

Prior to shooting I run at least two alcohol-soaked patches down the bore followed up by at least two dry patches. I've never had a problem with rust, Bore Butter build-up or a loss of accuracy.

Maybe what I'm doing is wrong, but it seems to have worked for me. I will say that I keep my Remington inline in a humidity-controlled safe, while my sidelock hangs on the wall.

bdhuntr,you must be doing something right! :D And it sounds like it is cleaning out the bore real good Before shooting the gun! I've never tried alcohol to remove the protectant,but I will give it a try,for sure. :D

Back