Bore cleaning 911

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jotjackson1

Reaction score
Pam and I went down to the cabin today for 3 days of hunting and shooting. I left my shooting /cleaning bag home, old age I guess, I need something to swab the barrel on our sidelocks.I have a bottle of Windex with ammonia and some alcohol. Which one would you use if you did not have some of Jon's lube with you?

Agree use soap and water and then swab the barrel with alcohol....Then swab the barrel with oil, if your not going to use it till the morning or even a couple of days, store the weapon muzzle down on paper towels or a rag, this will prevent any excess for congealing in your nipple or vent....

YMHS
Hilljack

FrontierGander said:
Windex will work perfectly fine.
Windex w/alcohol in its fine but ammonia is caustic and not good for barrels, at least that's what Ive been told for the last 30 yrs or so.

I say the same about the Windex, it is diluted, been using it for the last five years myself. I'd use the Windex.

Speaking of Windex, what about the Windex with vinegar, I have used it, can't tell there has been any troubles.

Murphy's Oil Soap, Iso-propyl Alcohol, and Pine-Sol. 
Use a couple table-spoons of everything except the alcohol. 
Alcohol is the base of this one. So, you are in luck.

Hilljack taught me this mix and I LOVE it. If you got that? 
You are golden.

I have heard very bad things about ammonia with rifles.

Wipe the bore with either the windex or alcohol then oil. being that you're at your camp and forgot your bag you likely don't have any gun oil. Just swab with a little vegetable oil or crisco. I'm sure you have some of that laying around. (ps: canola oil is great if you have some)

Thanks guys, we made it through the weekend, back home now and guns have been cleaned properly. We pulled in the driveway and Pam said, " When is the next hunting trip?" Gotta love it..........

Latest posts

Back