Bought A New Rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I just bought this rod for my bigger waters. It 8 1/2' 6wt. It should work well for some of the big trout we have here. Although being bamboo it will fell good with any size fish. I have a smaller 6 1/2' 3wt for my creeks being made. I won it in a contest, and should get it in June. I'll post pics of it when I get it.

Anyway, this is my 8 1/2' i just bought.

DSCN0197-1_zps17d0a987.jpg

DSCN0196_zps3e8e4e29.jpg

:scratch:

Thought you would have used a piece of string and a hook like the real mountain men :)

Ray...... ;)

Nice rod Pete.....Good luck with it.

Beautiful craftsmanship! The purist of flyrodders usually prefer the "feel" of bamboo. I REALLY enjoyed trout fishing with my buddy's in the past, but could never afford the quality $$$ bamboo flyrods he had. It takes a bit to get comfortable with their flexing action compared to graphite, but it's the historic, outdoor experience in fishing with bamboo I found most satisfying. ;)

Yeah Marty. You have to slow down the cast, and let the rod do the work. That's hard to do if you're brought up with graphite. It's easy for me, because I was brought up with bamboo. ;)

Never had a bamboo rod myself , grew up with fibreglass rods and Mitchell reels

A lot stronger than graphite or glass. Bamboo rods that are over 100 years old are still being fished. The higher line weight bamboo rods are being used on the ocean to land monsters.

What you read about bamboo rods being fragile are the cheap rods. Unlike graphite. The difference in a well built bamboo rod, and a cheap one is huge!

I've never seen bamboo rods in the shops around here so i'll have to shop around to see if i can find one , i'd like to give one a go and see how they work.

Higher quality bamboo rods usually have to be custom made .. and they cost mucho dinero.

Ah go ahead buy one, other wise the GOV'T will say you have too much money and take it away from ya. While in Berlin an Irish Ranger friend brought me a bamboo made by the McKenzie clan, very nice rod, but very long for MI trout. ElDee

Latest posts

Back