Boyd’s stock fit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a new stock from Boyd’s for my knight mountaineer. It seems to fit good and snug around the lug and bolt area. I just seems to fit kind of loose towards the forearm it does seem better with the ramrod. I can get a piece of paper around barrel all the way up to the lug. Does this seem normal because it only has the one screw holding stock to barrel. Thanks

I just received a new stock from Boyd’s for my knight mountaineer. It seems to fit good and snug around the lug and bolt area. I just seems to fit kind of loose towards the forearm it does seem better with the ramrod. I can get a piece of paper around barrel all the way up to the lug. Does this seem normal because it only has the one screw holding stock to barrel. Thanks
That sounds ok to me. But i would still take out some around the receiver then bed it.

I would epoxy bed the receiver into the stock with Devcon 10110 plastic steel putty. I have used this for years and feel this is the best. Once you have the action properly bedded to the stock even with just the single bolt holding it together it will shoot much better than not bedding it.

I wish I had enough confidence to try that on my muzzleloaders.

Ya me too I would have to find a gunsmith
Gentlemen. Let me tell you a little secret. It is much easier to work on a firearm when you look at it as just metal and wood/synthetic and a bit of hardware. Nothing that can't be replaced or fixed. Bedding a rifle is an easy process. One of the easiest a gun owner can do by their self. You mess it up you can always remove it and try again. The only caution you need to take is to ensure that you have enough of release agent applied so the action doesn't remain permanently affixed to the stock and to not use too much bedding material. (You can always add more later if needed. ) You also want to use some type of putty to keep it from going where you don't want it to go.
I use Johnson's Paste Wax as a release agent. I apply a couple coats to be sure all areas where the bedding material will touch is treated.
Take your time, watch a couple videos on it and get er done.

Latest posts

Back