BPCR PPB Load Testing, 2019

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a MR 52 [reduced] target? Looks like you shot a 139-3X.

MR-63 face is what the club uses for 200 yard matches.

Target hit sequence is shown at the video's end for all 15 rounds fired, with the last frame showing the last ten rounds sequence number marked in red. This is half the total rounds fired for score at our Spring/Fall Buffalo Rifle match (30 rounds). If the 15 shots fired were taken as score, the total would be 141-3x out of 150. However, the shooting was not for score, but for evaluating several different loads. If it was for score I would've corrected the rear sight down a tick or two. :)

I screwed up the date, that shooting was August 2020, not 2019.

www.BuffaloRifles.org

Last edited:
This is something i have yet to do, I keep thinking about a Shiloh, i have came CLOSE to ordering one. 4,500 Bucks is what I would be looking at for the one i want, Sights & All........ One Day :)

Don't need to spend that much for a quality Sharps. Under $2k for a Pedersoli that's world class match worthy.

Been there and done that with both Shiloh and C.Sharps, and will take a Pedersoli before them any day.

I actually looked in to that Pedersoli when i first Started Contemplating Buying a Sharps. I Drove over to Buffalo Arms to Look at one of them, I talked to Dave Gullo about it, Dave knowing that I wanted to Shoot LONG Range ONLY With it (800 to 1,000 Yards) His advice was .45-90 with 34” inch Barrel. After talking to Dave I didn’t even Bother looking at the Pedersoli.

I wouldn't give up on Pedersoli guns so quickly. Dave is a great shooter no doubt, and like all good shooters he chooses and adapts gear as he sees fit, which is why he is a world class long range shooter - along with his natural talent for shooting. Case in point is his penchant for short 12" or so LOP gun stocks that I could never get to work for me. With any decent gun, it will always come down to the shooter as almost all of these rifles are better than any shooter, Dave included. What's more important is the bullet and cartridge. Lots of folks will argue that Sharps are slow locks, and they're right when compared to a CPA or a Browning high wall. Doesn't stop Sharps from winning more than their fair share of matches. A .45-70 can be reamed out to a .45-90 and that will allow for a custom PPB chamber (what I had done with a .40-65). A .45-70 PPB is a virtual .45-90, and a .45-90 PPB is a virtual .45-100 - lotta recoil happening there, if that matters. IMHO, after having 30", 32" and 34" bbls for Sharps and rollers, there is really no need for a 34" bbl other than a bit longer sight radius. But, I'm surely not in the long range shooting league of a Dave Gullo, so what do I know? To each their own. :)

I actually looked in to that Pedersoli when i first Started Contemplating Buying a Sharps. I Drove over to Buffalo Arms to Look at one of them, I talked to Dave Gullo about it, Dave knowing that I wanted to Shoot LONG Range ONLY With it (800 to 1,000 Yards) His advice was .45-90 with 34” inch Barrel. After talking to Dave I didn’t even Bother looking at the Pedersoli.
good move , there is no comparison

The nice thing about the 45/90 or the 45/100 is that you can find brass for it at a reasonable cost. I just walked into the world of the 45/110 and that brass is an eye opener. My first 100 pcs was around $280. if I remember right. I have another 100 on order if it comes thru. I saw one outfit selling it for over $6.50 apiece. That was for Norma brass which is all I shoot. Norma basic. I caught Optics planet early in there order for $1.74 a piece.

Idaho I recently got a c-sharps 45-90 as you know but I got a 30" barrel a 34 is a whole lotta barrel especially if you want to hunt with it the guy who started me into the sport has had over 50 different sharps rifles and still has about 10 now he's won everything there is including the Quigley I was also going to buy a 34" and he talked me out of it and I'm glad he did especially on the heavy barrel it's up to you of course but if you ever want to talk about it drop me a line. Just a fyi we are going to a match in April it's the Nevada bragging rights shoot we'll be shooting out to 1080 yards in that one so get you rifle and get ready for next year !!

The nice thing about the 45/90 or the 45/100 is that you can find brass for it at a reasonable cost. I just walked into the world of the 45/110 and that brass is an eye opener. My first 100 pcs was around $280. if I remember right. I have another 100 on order if it comes thru. I saw one outfit selling it for over $6.50 apiece. That was for Norma brass which is all I shoot. Norma basic. I caught Optics planet early in there order for $1.74 a piece.
Wish I could find some Norma starline 45-100 cases is what I bought and cut and sized for my 45-90

Like i said above, I would love to have a Sharps Someday, And the one i REALLY want is the 1874 Shiloh Long Range Express, in .45-90 with a 34” Barrel. Being a DIEHARD Muzzleloader Guy, I am having a hard time Justifying it. I really don’t think i would shoot it that much? My thinking was to Buy one so I could go Compete at the Deep Creek Range. I am gonna try and go this year and least see it, Maybe get to Shoot a little as well :)

A few months back when i was Building my RICE 1-24 Twist .50 Cal, When Ordering my Sight setup i talked to Lee Shaver over the phone, We visited a little about BPCR, I told him that i was Contemplating Buying one, But was struggling with it since I am really Dedicated Toward my Muzzleloaders. Lee didn’t try and talk me out of it by any means, But he did say I started out Shooting Muzzleloaders as a Kid, About 10 years ago i put a .22 Adapter in my Cartridge Gun and it is stil in there today, I prefer my Muzzleloaders”

That got me to thinking? 🤔 That is VERY LIKELY what would happen to Mine if i Bought one

I am not a Huge Fan of Pedersoli, But I’m also not against them. I Really HATE the idea of Buying a Brand New Rifle and having to Ream it’s Chamber to what i wanted to begin With. I have a friend, and AWESOME Gunsmith just up the Rd from me 4 or 5 miles, He has a Brand New .45-90 Reamer in the Sealed Package and Could easily do the Job, about 250 Bucks (This was discussed MONTHS ago :)) That leaves the Shorter 30 Inch barrel, Which i am also not a Fan of for Long Range, Just look at my 2 Long Range Muzzleloaders 🙂 I LOVE a longer Barrel, at least 32” inches, And would be right at Home with a 34” inch Barrel
FubyxAy.jpg

Anyone that knows me, Knows that I am an “ALL IN“ kinda Guy, If i end up Getting one, It will be the Shiloh 1874 Long Range Express in .45-90, With a 34“ inch Barrel (Since my mind has been Set on it) Semi Fancy Wood, Pewter Nose Cap, MVA Long Range Buffalo Soule Tang Sight With MVA 112 Adjustable Front Sight, Installled by Shiloh. Might as well make it an “Heirloom piece” So when i Kick the Bucket my Wife can sell it in a Garage Sale :D

But for now, i have more going on with Muzzleloaders than i can Keep up with, I have another LR Muzzleloader Build in Progress as i Type this 🙂

Idaho I recently got a c-sharps 45-90 as you know but I got a 30" barrel a 34 is a whole lotta barrel especially if you want to hunt with it the guy who started me into the sport has had over 50 different sharps rifles and still has about 10 now he's won everything there is including the Quigley I was also going to buy a 34" and he talked me out of it and I'm glad he did especially on the heavy barrel it's up to you of course but if you ever want to talk about it drop me a line. Just a fyi we are going to a match in April it's the Nevada bragging rights shoot we'll be shooting out to 1080 yards in that one so get you rifle and get ready for next year !!

I agree on the 30” inch Barrel if a guy planned to hunt with it, a 28” inch would be Great for Hunting as Well. But i Don’t plan to EVER Hunt with this Rig, This would Strictly be a Target/Bench, Long Range Rifle. I personally LOVE a longer Barrel for my Long Range Shooting, My Long Range Muzzleloaders have 32” inch Barrels, a 34” inch Barrel would be right up my Alley :lewis:

Last edited:
Back