Brand New to Muzzleloaders - Building an Underhammer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

724wd

Reaction score
Hi all, I am brand new to muzzleloaders and fell in love with the Peerless underhammers from RJ Renner. As someone who enjoys "tinkering" and building guns (Mausers and ARs), I am familiar with many aspects of gunsmithing, though I do have to farm out milling and lathe-work. I have decided to build an underhammer!

I make knives, shoot archery, work on cars/trucks, hunt, fish, and lots of other hobbies. With that background, I purchased an Arkansas Underhammer from Pecatonica and it was delivered this week! My ultimate plan is to craft this rifle and kill a deer with it. After that's completed, perhaps build another with the focus on trim, lightweight, and having "the look."

Currently, with action in hand, I am thinking maple stock, 30-32-ish inch barrel, .45 or .50 cal, floating forearm and a few embellishments. I live in Spokane, WA and could target either whitetail or mule deer. As this is my first experience with a muzzleloader and the underhammer being a somewhat unusual design, I am sure I'll glean a pile of info from the "beginners" threads.

I look forward to learning a lot from the members here! - Heath

:welcome: To the brotherhood. The rabbit hole has no end.:lewis:

Welcome…I too have an underhammer project in the works…basically there’s 4 lock options out there, 2 from The Gunworks, 1 H&A action from Pecatonica and a Billinghurst kit from The Log Cabin Shop.
I’d love it if someone could point to any other underhammer lock or action option…you’ll have to grace us with pictures of the finished gun.

Hi all, I am brand new to muzzleloaders and fell in love with the Peerless underhammers from RJ Renner. As someone who enjoys "tinkering" and building guns (Mausers and ARs), I am familiar with many aspects of gunsmithing, though I do have to farm out milling and lathe-work. I have decided to build an underhammer!

I make knives, shoot archery, work on cars/trucks, hunt, fish, and lots of other hobbies. With that background, I purchased an Arkansas Underhammer from Pecatonica and it was delivered this week! My ultimate plan is to craft this rifle and kill a deer with it. After that's completed, perhaps build another with the focus on trim, lightweight, and having "the look."

Currently, with action in hand, I am thinking maple stock, 30-32-ish inch barrel, .45 or .50 cal, floating forearm and a few embellishments. I live in Spokane, WA and could target either whitetail or mule deer. As this is my first experience with a muzzleloader and the underhammer being a somewhat unusual design, I am sure I'll glean a pile of info from the "beginners" threads.

I look forward to learning a lot from the members here! - Heath

RJ Renner, was a wonderful site.

32" .45 barrel would be great in maple.

Back