Breech Plug Chronology -- Blackhorn Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5123.JPG

When Blackhorn Powder was first available for purchase, folks shooting the pictured plug (encore/omega) went out, and shot it without problem. Many unaware that there were ignition difficulties when using the powder. Using the plug one experienced 100% ignition in all kind of weather, and using any shotgun primer. One could hunt in -15° weather, and never notice any problem. One never thought about using tight sabot, or tight fitting bullets, or compressing powder. One loaded their rifle as one always had. Diligently cleaning the flame channel wasn't deemed necessary; ignition was perfect even when the channel was carboned down to 1/16" diameter.

However for some, a problem igniting Blackhorn a problem appeared. Problem breech plug photo follow:

IMG_5125.JPG

Many experienced no ignition issues using the pictured plugs, however many experienced ignition issues at the most inopportune time. Western Powders experienced a glut of phone calls informing them their powder didn't work. Solutions were sought; recommendations were made. These initial recommendations led to the myths of today.

A grassroots solution appeared, and is pictured below:

IMG_5126.JPG

The pictured plugs copy the Omega plug, and work just as well as the Omega plug, bringing happiness to many. Western Powders then, also copied the Omega plug. This new plug worked as well as the Omega plug, and brought happiness to many.

IMG_5127.JPG

These days far, and away; most Blackhorn ignition problems, are maintenance issues, or ignorance issues. Merry Christmas.

I have not shot a tremendous amount of BH209, I’m on my 5th or 6th jug of it (10oz) and I have had only one ignition problem with it. I tried a 50v load out of one of my Whites with a percussion cap, just to see what would happen. The gun went off but, not with any authority. It was about a half second burn time I would guess, kind of a pfffffffoomp instead of a bang. I have three rifles I shoot it in, an Accura .50 LR with the BH plug, an old Optima with the hex head original flat faced plug, and my modified bolt/plug Austin & Halleck .45. It has been flawless in those three rifles. I use the Federal 209a primers in all three.

Merry Christmas Ron!

It warms my heart that you are carrying on the great work on Breech Plugs.

I couldn't remember my Password for my login as "Screwbolts", so I had to create a new login.

Laus Deo,

Ken H

Merry Christmas Ron!

It warms my heart that you are carrying on the great work on Breech Plugs.

I couldn't remember my Password for my login as "Screwbolts", so I had to create a new login.

Laus Deo,

Ken H

I found that member name. It only had 14 posts but if you want we can try to get it back for you. PM me and i will tell you what i need from you. It has not been used in a long time.

Hey Ron,

Yes I did see all your reports!

I have with the gracious help of GM54-120 successfully re activated my old account.

I am still Casting and shooting My hardcast Boolitz. They still work great!

Ken

Continuing Breech Plug Chronology

IMG_5132.JPG

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5133.JPG

The breech plug was made from a 9/16" grade 8 bolt. The plug was made this year. The plug has ignited Blackhorn 100% since being put in use. The plug provides perfectly clean ignition perfectly. The plug can use standard CCI primers, or CCI magnum primers, or Federal 209A primers. Tight fitting, hard to load sabot, or bullets not required. Using this plug, and shooting is relaxing, as it should be. No fuss, nor worry.

Ron,

Very nice Work! That breech plug is a work of art.

It appears that you now have access to a lathe and mill.

Ken

The hex is advantageous because it allows one to remove the flash hole when it erodes to 0.037", and replace it. Also, one can remove the carbon in the flame channel readily without worry of drilling through the flash hole.

It appears that you now have access to a lathe and mill.
Yes, however they are just hobby machines. No space for real mill, and lathe due to presence of wood working machines. One nice thing is the machines were inexpensive enough, they were paid for by CVA shooters. CVA never did make a breech plug to reliably ignite Blackhorn for the older pre 2010 rifles.

Shooters still send those old model breech plugs to modify. The mill makes the job easy. Ken, your advice led to making vent liners using Holo-Krome screws, and breech plugs using grade 8 bolts. Making breech plugs required the lathe. As you know, one easily spends as much money on tooling as one spends on the machines, but the knowledge one gains by doing, is priceless.

Store bought vent liners can also be used.

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

Using any proper breech plug, and cleaning it once in awhile, allows the shooter to make it easy. Blackhorn will ignite right now, every time in any condition, using any shotgun primer, and any sabot.

@ronlaughlin are you making your own vent liners? If so what are you drilling them with? I was gonna make a threaded holder for the lathe to put the vent liners in and drill them, but I’m not sure they will drill good. I have some small bits, .028 or .032 I don’t remember for sure, they struggle in stainless though.

sdporter,

I am not Ron, but yes, Ron is drilling his own vent liners. the Flat headed screw he shows is a Holo-Krome screw. They have a Rockwell hardness of 54 to 58. To drill these you do need a theaded jig/fitting to clamp into your headstock to thread the screw into.

Drilling this type of screw Hardness requires Cobalt drills. The proper hole size for a vent liner is .03125 (1//32") to start with and as Ron has stated discarded when they erode to .036-.037. In the past, I have found doing Net searches, Bousch cobalt drills to be the best pricing, and they do come in bags of 10. These small Cobalt drills a single flute. I sometimes break the surface hardness of the black screws with a Cobalt .0625 bit. This I find also can act as a quide to help start the tiny .03125 bits. When you buy them drills, get spares. :) I did get 19 screws once from a broken .03125 drill, the broken end left it sharp and it cut awsome.

Some Stainless is a PIA to work with, It galls and work hardens. Meaning if you stop a cut with a drill or tap it will be harder to continue. I find Cobalt drills and taps greatly help when working with Stainless parts.

The Domed headed Store bought vent liners I believe are from either Lehiegh or SSK, They I believe are stainless and get a treatment after machining to harden them to a Rockwell of 60 or so. they are around $6 a vent but last long.

Ron has been doing some great work!

I believe I have been away from the forums for 14 years.

Ken
Central, NY

PS: Yes Ron you are correct, the cost of tooling can surpass the price of the Machine!

As Ron Has mentioned by having a removable vent liner, Carbon can easily be cleaned from the flash channel with a 5/32" drill from the primer end. the 10-32 threads of the vent screw wont be touched or damaged, they were cut from a 5/32" hole, so the drill will pass right inside of them.

The Carbon should be removed when accuracy starts to degrade or every 100 shots maximum. I usually replace my vents @.034-.035.

Never did think of drilling with a busted drill. Probably will give it a try; have made plenty of busted drills. A local machine shop sold made in USA drills; they worked best for drilling the Holo-Krome screws. The old boy also sold taps made in Bosnia; they cut threads in the CVA breech plugs easily, and do many many breech plugs each.

Have always included a vent liner with each modified breech plug. Never did like making vent liners, but also never did like paying $5 for a vent liner, and giving it away. As time goes by, may return the modified CVA breech plugs without a vent liner.

Back