Breech Plug Chronology -- Blackhorn Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @Screwbolts! Good info, and a great tip on using the larger bit to start a centered pilot to go into. I’ll have to look back at my McMaster Carr order to see what bits I used exactly. I made an attachment for my lathe similar to this for holding the tiny bits.

Last edited:
It was a cobalt #69 (.0292”) and I bought 5 of them.

@sdporter Thank you for sharing that video. I ewill be making an adapter to hold the handle of a pin vice. Speed and Feed.

Ken

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

This morning/afternoon a dozen vent liners were made from Holo_Krome screws using a #69 cobalt drill. Progress was stopped at 12 because it felt like the drill was getting dull, and would soon break. Often a leade is made in vent liners, but not so much any more. This is why screws are brought in from the bottom of the jig. The vent liners seem to last longer without the leade, and ignition seems to be as crisp.

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

The mill spun the drill at about 1500 rpm, which seems to work about the best. Making vent liners isn't very exciting.

Ron Laughlin, you did one for me for a cva optima v2 a couple yrs ago. been shooting it this yr, working good! thanks for doing it!

Latest posts

Back