Breech plug grease

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangfire

Reaction score
I have been shooting a remmington Genisis for the past couple of years and have had more than a couple occasions when the breech plug was extremely difficult to remove at cleaning time. The gun is always thoroughly cleaned and I have been using Knight breech plug grease. The plug on this gun is somewhat longer than my others. Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Try loosening it right after shooting. If that doesn't work try automotive antisieze or high temperature teflon tape. I use the Knight grease because it was given to me and it work good on my guns.

i switched to Slick 50, one tube will last 4 people a lifetime. as what critter said the best tip is loosen the plug right after your last shot before you head home. and after cleaning when you put the plug back in, do not crank it tight finger tight will do.

Another thing you can do is when you're on the range.. after ten shots, take your breech plug wrench and give the breech plug a twist back and fourth. That will insure that the plug is not seizing in the rifle. If you have to wait for a length of time before you can clean it, remove the breech plug from the rifle. Carry a plastic zip lock and just put the plug in there. Some even put wet paper towel in there and wrap the plug in the wet paper towel. It helps to soften the fowling on the plug prior to cleaning.

I've used the same grease, sold with the knight name on it, in my original in line and now my savage and never had a problem. I make sure all the threads get some and only hand snug it. I shot pyrodex and later 777 in the inline and 4759 in the savage.

hangfire said:
I have been shooting a remmington Genisis for the past couple of years and have had more than a couple occasions when the breech plug was extremely difficult to remove at cleaning time. The gun is always thoroughly cleaned and I have been using Knight breech plug grease. The plug on this gun is somewhat longer than my others. Any similar experiences or suggestions?

the secret is to only finger tighten the breech plug ..

Slick50 ONE grease or https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gxc.aspx are the two best plug lubes I've found - and I've used several different ones.

Some folks also take a chunk of Scotch-Brite pad to the threads. Just give the threads a quick spin on the pad to remove any burrs. I bellieve Sabotloader does this - you might ask him.

I am of the "finger tight" school. OR when using a tool you feel the plug bottom out, back it off just a tad so it is just broke loose. NEVER a problem....I've used many things but find the Knight grease works fine. Just a little high priced. I might try Slick 50....

Latest posts

Back