Breechplugs, ventliners and SMI

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethang

Reaction score
I've been following all the posts on SMI barrels and their breechplug designs and it started me thinking. Savage uses ventliners in their gun that will shoot smokeless and BP. SMI I understand does not and you can still shoot BP. Breech blowback is not an issue with either system is it?

Is there a reason why either a ventliner or the SMI breechplugs could not be adapted for use in a regular BP substitutes ML?(nonsmokeless loads only of course.)

I'm thinking of my Encore which has horrible blowback. If either of those systems eliminate it that would be a plus.

Ethang said:
I'm thinking of my Encore which has horrible blowback. If either of those systems eliminate it that would be a plus.

If your Encore has "horrible blowback" you really need to send it to Thompson ASAP.

I have sent it back Randy. they told me it was all within specs.
By horrible I mean I have to pull the barrel and really clean out the fireing pin recesses or it gums up with crud. It is better if I run a drill bit every 10 shots or so.
It's strange because when I got the barrel back from T/C they had put a new breechplug in it. For the first 10-20 shots there was no blowback at al. Then it got progressively worse. I don't know if it is flame cutting of the fire hole or buildup that I havn't gotten out or what. I have a new breechplug I'm going to try when I head back to the range.

If either the Smi or the ventlinger approach is working well in the other guns shooting BP I was just thinking it might be worth looking into.

Ethang,
You tried the 25 ACP breechplug? I use it in my Omega and it eliminates the blowback that pushed past the primer. You do have to prime and clean brass but if you want to throw the brass away after the shot it's cheaper than Knight Full plastic Jackets. I usually save the brass but when hunting I just pitch them since I have better things to do in my small amount of time at home during hunting season.

http://www.blackpowderbullets.com/preci ... ories.html

Just don't order the priming kit and brass from them. It's MUCH cheaper to order the stuff from Midway USA. All you need is a Lee Autoprime (12.00 or so), a 25 ACP case holder ($2 or $3) and someway to knock the primer out if reusing them which I think was another $3.00.

RandyWakeman said:
Are you leaving the extractor in place? :?

Yes. I have the EZ tip extractor. Should I take it out?

I have thought about the 25 acp but don't want to go that route.
I was just pondering if there is a better breech plug design that can be used.

What about a larger or smaller fire hole in the T/C plug? Randy you experimented with different size vent holes when you did your ventliners didn't you?

Patrick,
Do you know of another supplier for the 25 acp brass?
Thanks
Steve

Back