bring in or leave out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i deer hunt out of a cabin back in the woods. using bh209 powder out of a knight mountaineer. i would like to be able to bring the gun in after the days hunt and stand in the gun rack. i have read alot on this site that bh209 doesnt absorb moisture like other powders do. the other option is to leave it outside in the case or shoot it out then bring in. wondering what you fellow hunters do. also if i leave it outdoors in the case would it be a good idea to put in a fresh warm primer? thanks in advance i know i will receive some very good advice.

I have done both ways with not a problem with ignition. Most of my experiences are with T7 loose 2/3Fg.
Depends a lot on the weather. If cold- wet leave the gun outside in cold truck or garage rather than bringing inside.
If warm-dry outside either way is alright.
Cold-dry outside leave the gun outside. All the above is for a unfired gun. Room temperature primer won't be a factor, next time out.

Last edited:
I've done it both ways using BH and never have had an issue with any weather/temperature by bringing it inside the house, but since we have grandkids with great grandchildren that stop by occasionally I just leave the guns cases and locked in the attached garage overnight. I've left a gun locked in the van over night as well but have covered it so no gun case was showing.

Before I switched to BH years ago I shot T7 and there was no way I would have considered bringing a cold gun into the warm house and depending on that charge to shoot the next day.... experience speaking.

I've done both depending on my living arrangements. I'm out in the country now. I lock it in the truck or an unheated shed. I've lived in some apartments where you couldn't leave a can of soda in the car without it being stolen. In those situations, I brought the rifle in but left it in the case. I felt like the case served as insulation slowing down the temperature change.

I use 777 and bring mine in everyday. I’ve yet to have a problem. Accuracy seems to be the same. I left my Omega loaded last hunting season and checked it a few weeks ago for the upcoming season. First shot had been loaded and inside for almost a year. Swabbed the barrel and fired one more. Looked ready to me.

Attachments

• C6FEC9E8-86E0-4FD8-BB48-5F54669B6CF2.jpeg
    C6FEC9E8-86E0-4FD8-BB48-5F54669B6CF2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I brought the rifle in but left it in the case. I felt like the case served as insulation slowing down the temperature change.
This what I have done for years. The only thing that I would add is that I usually stand it up muzzle down. I have used this method with 777 and Bh209. Not once have I ever had a problem.

I've left my Accura V2 Lr loaded and brought inside with blackhorn and never had any issues with it. The longest it was left loaded was about 3 weeks.

so should i let the gun get acclimated to the outside weather before i load it
Thats not necessary to do at all.
For the last 4 seasons I've loaded up my Accura the night before early ML season starts ( mid Oct ) inside the house, the gun stays loaded - ready to hunt until it gets shot, then it gets reloaded & stays that way until my season ends in mid Jan. I bring the gun in the house in the evening. I have had zero probs with doing this.

I've left my Accura V2 Lr loaded and brought inside with blackhorn and never had any issues with it. The longest it was left loaded was about 3 weeks.
Sept to end of December ,did not pull the trigger till Late season in January . The deer didn't mind as it died right there .*0 gr OE 3F in my Renegade Mag spark /CCI 209 primer /electrical tape over muzzle ,stayed out all that time in unheated garage/Ed

Back