bring in or leave out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've brought mine in since I began using them and never an issue. The humidity is drier in the house than outside.

i know when we bring our deer rifles in with the wood stove they sweat enough that we wipe them down. is this happening inside the barrel also. am i understanding that bh209 doesnt absorb moisture?
/

i know when we bring our deer rifles in with the wood stove they sweat enough that we wipe them down. is this happening inside the barrel also. am i understanding that bh209 doesnt absorb moisture?
/
Depends on who you talk with. BH over time will absorb moisture. However, if you dry it out, it will fire.
I never, ever, bring a loaded muzzleloader into a warm house or heated garage. It goes into a cold case and into an unheated garage. When you have temps that can vary from one day to the next by 70+ degrees, its best to keep them from the warmth. If I even .......... think ........ or imagine...... that there might be an issue, I fire the rifle and reload.

I've left my Accura V2 Lr loaded and brought inside with blackhorn and never had any issues with it. The longest it was left loaded was about 3 weeks.
If you read a lot of history you will notice that the old timers used to leave their guns loaded and hung over the fireplace to keep their power dry. Always ready!!! Seems the old days are coming back.

If you read a lot of history you will notice that the old timers used to leave their guns loaded and hung over the fireplace to keep their power dry. Always ready!!! Seems the old days are coming back.
They left them for next of kin to find in case of being scalped ,cause they knew leaving your rifle hung over the fire place wasn't smart . Counting on pistols /tommy hawks while heading out to the wood shed might be dumb but hey ,he thunk I've always done it before this way /Ed

This is a good topic,

It is something that I never even thought of before,

I always hunted shotguns and metallics, Muzzleloading is new to me, Great input

I keep muzzleloaders, deer rifles, shotguns, crossbow, etc. in the truck at the end of the day. If I hunt in the rain, I'll wipe the outside and put back in the truck.

We had an early 4 day muzzleloader season a week ago in VT. I hunted 1.5 days due to 70 degree temps. I fired my Patriot and put in the safe when I got home, did not clean. Will load just before the late season and hunt. Will clean at the end of the season.

My son killed a couple does last November with my White S91 .504.
I cleaned the rifle and reloaded it. He never got another deer.
I put the rifle back in the safe, planning to shoot it, but the wife and I have been dealing with health issues so never happened.
Fast forward to this past Saturday ML opener. He took the same rifle out, still loaded a year ago and killed a button buck. He said it went off with no problem!
Load was 90 gr T7 2Fg, 495 lead conical over a unlubed wad, Remington mag #11 cap.
I cleaned the rifle today after his hunt this morning and he shot out the reload.
Not one sign of a problem. Bore still pristine and cleaned up great!

Back