Broadhead Survey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Ok, whats your favorite...fixed (Bear, Zwicky, Delta etc), mechanical, replacable 3 or 4 blade etc.??

Last couple of years I bowhunted the 125 grain Thunderhead cleanly took a few deer for me. A tuff hardened steel chisel pointed .20 bladed head. Last Buck I took with a 125 Thunderhead was a close shot at 10 yds with my 70 lb PSE Fireflite w/2315 XX75. The Thunderhead actually broke shoulder and penetrated thru Buck. Upon hit it sounded like 2 Bricks crackin together. Buck dropped in its tracks. Other hits were dbl lungs and deer recovered within 50 yds. Its one tuff broadhead that flies well and quickly kills if U do ur part.

There are sooooo many choices out there...curious whut you all use?

I've been trying some of the super short braodheads over the past couple of years, and so far there are three that really shine for me. Last in the lineup is the Slick Trick four blade heads. Very accurate and exceelent cutting diameter. So far I have not shot an animal with these heads but they fly wonderfully. Second in the lineup is the Rocket Aeroheads Ultimate Steelheads. These little rascals have taken two deer a year the last two years and penetration is nothing short of awesome! They fly almost exactly where my field point do, and are very, very tough. First in the lineup is the fairly new Sonic Head from American Broadhead Company. This is a replaceable three blade cut on impact head with a unique design. Extremely tough, extremely accurate, and overall the best head I have tested to date. I have not shot an animal with it, but plan on giving it a test in Co in a month or so. These heads are just amazing. Practice all you like with your field points, then screw this head on and it will hit exactly where your field point did. The blade design is so very cool. You need to go look at one on their web-site. The blades are designed to be forced to stay together when they penetrate an object, and so far to date, they have not had a blade lost in an animal. For the money it is one awesome head if you want field point accuracy, cut on impact, and incredible penetration. I'll be ventilating a nice Elk in Co in a few weeks, so I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks Super 91 for that excellent info! :D

That Sonic Head from American Broadhead Co. sounds like a fine one.

Best of luck on your upcoming Elk Hunt. Man, that would be a thrill of a lifetime to harvest an Elk with a bow.

I am sold on the G5 outdoors Teken broadhead. It is a expandable but it also has a 5/8 inch cut to the tip point. These fly like regular field points and leave a hell of a blood trail, but in my experiance you dont need the blood trail I have shot three deer and watched a freind shoot three deer with this head and not one deer went over 25 yards. I know that is hard to belive and I wouldnt belived it either if I had not witnesed it myself. This is a very strong all steel head that flies like a dart. I will never use anythine else. Joel

Some pics of the above broadheads. Man, i wouldnt want to take a hit from any of these ole boys!! :lol:

The Thunderhead
i410188sq05.jpg

The Sonic

sonic_head_lft_lg.jpg

The Teken

p026340sq01.jpg

Loggy last deer I killed was with a 100 grain thead.

I have used the entire thead lineup with great success over the years. 100gr, 125, 150, 160, 180, razorback they all worked great. I also had good luck with the snuffer, zwickey eskimo and delta, bear razorhead, pearson deadhead and magnus.

Lots of good stuff out there these days I have never killed a deer with the expandable broadheads but they seem like they would work well under the right circumstances.
iisabigone

For the last 8 years I have used 125 grain Muzzy three blade heads. Before those I used Wasp three blade but had some strange wound channels. The Muzzy heads just break and blast through bone and get the job done.

I have taken several deer with 85 grain Thunderhead. They are awsome broadheads for the $ so I see no reason to change.

Cayuga,

Muzzy 125's are my choice also, very accurate for me. :)

Muzzy 90 grain 4 blades are for me. At shooting over 298 fps I don't need big blades. They are the sharpest yet next to the G5 Montecs. Shot thru a cinder block with my Carbon Express Hunter and had a complete pass thru at 20 yds. The arrow and blades were undamaged and ready to go. That sold me for life.

My buddy made a lucky hit on a doe this past weekend. She walked a full step just as he hit the release, and he hit her in the rump. He shoots 100 grain NAP Thunderheads. Take a look at the bone damage when we processed her.

FemurShot.jpg

BroadheadDmg1.jpg

Loggy,
make mine 100gr or 125gr Pro Series Thunderheads screwed to a Carbon Xpress 3D select arrow with 4" plastic vanes.
Pocampo

Can't beat muzzy, I use the 100gr 3 blades, as stated before you can bust through about anything and most of the time just put some new blades in it and it's good to go again.

I have heard that Sonics,Slick Tricks and Wac-ems are all very heads and are easy to tune.The one draw back is that they may not leave as good of a blood trail,or so I've heard when compaired to the bigger heads.My set-up's seem to like 100g 4 blade Muzzy's.

I have been shooting Rocket expandables for years with great success.
I have shot the Mini blaster 3L's, Steel heads, and Sidewinders.

Back