Broadhead Survey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 125gr Rocky Mountain to start with. Got one buck and lost another. 25 yd shot and hit the middle of the shoulder. The broadhead shattered (ferrule bent and couldn't find the tip) and nothing penetrated. Switched to a lighter arrow and 85gr NAP Spitfire. I've dropped several deer, but never got complete passthrough even at 20 yds.

Those were used with a Bear Quest set at 62 lbs.

I now use 100gr 3 blade Muzzy with a Mathews FX set at 60lbs. I've dropped 2 deer with that setup and got double lung complete passthrough on a big doe at 25yds, hitting a rib going in and coming out.

My dad uses 100gr Muzzy with a PSE Whitetail Extreme (I think) set at 55 lbs. He got a double lung complete passthrough at 40yds a few years ago. He's always used Muzzys and doesn't plan on changing.

Even though I had more kills with the 1st 2 broadheads, I've also lost more than I'd like to admit.

Muzzys have my vote.

I am gonna try the G5 Montecs this year. Never bowhunted before so went with the recommendation of the local Pro.
The fly good and accuracy is good, I have tested that so far, but they have a different Point of Impact then my field tips. Not too far off, but I will have to rezero for the hunting season, which is OK.
I wonder how they will perform if I shoot a doe in the forehead at 20 yds. Hmm

MUZZY 3 Bld 100gr
I keep trying other heads and I keep going back to the muzzy becouse I know when I shoot a Deer or Bear that i'm going to have a very short tracking job!!!!!
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

LUNGBUSTER 1

I used Thunderhead 85's and 100's for a long time. But I made a switch to Ironhead 100's from Rocky Mountain. For me they fly much better than the Thunderheads. They fly exactly like my field points. Plus they make nice holes in deer.

For whitetails it's the Muzzy 90 gr / 4 blade. Fly real nice and perform just as well. If we do our part (making the shot that we need to make) it'll do it's part. Tough and accurate.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." John Wooden

Fixed Blade: SlickTrick 100gr Magnums. My go-to broadhead.

Mechanical: Rage 2 Blade 100gr.

For deer: 100gr three blade Muzzy, can't count the deer I've killed with these.

For Turkey: Rage 2 blades, first year trying them but they were recommended highly. I may try them on deer in the fall as well.

I prefer fixed blade cut-on-contact broadheads, with 4 blades. 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" cutting diameter. Hoyt Top Cut, Steel Force, Coyote, Satilite Titan and Liberty Heads, to name a few.

However, I've used a N.A.P. Shockwave and Scorpion XP on 2 deer with excellent results. 8)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I like the cut on impact so I have been using the G5 Montec 100grn
4_1.jpg

The rage 3 blade is awesome. I shot a doe with one and the exit would is scary. Like 2"!!! :shock:

I use the tighpoint shuttle t-locks (fixed blade). Great accuracy and exit wound but nothing is like the rage. I use the tightpoints from the blind because of the shoot thru mesh.

For the traditional bows I use Zwickey Eskimo 125 grain and for the wheel bows 100 or 125 grain 4 blade Muzzy depending on the arrow weight. I used to shoot the 3 blade Muzzy but the 4 blade penetrates a little better I think.

I stick with the Thunderhead 125 flys great and excellent penetration

In my opinion, fixed blade broadheads are the only way to go..I've also been using the Rocket Ultimate Steel heads in 125 grains now for about 5 years now....unbelievable is all i can say...fly almost identical to the field points, penetration is super...I've taken 6 mule deer and countless whitetails with these heads and can't say enough good about em...and compared to some of todays mechanicals, they are a bargain....

100 grain Thunderheads mounted on a Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575 and launched by a Mathews Outback or a Mathews SQ2. :D

Muzzy 3 blade Heads. I used to shoot the 125's but this year switched over to the 100's! I've taken more deer than I can remember with Muzzy's,and never had any problems with them. Ron

Back