Broadhead Survey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been sold on the muzzy 100 gr 3 blade since they came out.Many years ago when we first had a bow season I used the old bear heads and with a recurve bow they were great,but with the higher speed compound bows they were hard to get to shoot. Have taken deer with several of the different heads over the years and the muzzy came up the best for me.
Have been wanting to try one of the expanding heads but because of health have had to drop my poundage down to 50 lbs and don't think that is enough for the expanders to work.(my opinion)
There are so many heads on the market now that its hard to say which is the best.

I've been using bear razorheads pretty much exclusively. You can't buy new ones here; I don't know that you can buy new ones anywhere, but they're pretty easy to get on Ebay. I wouldn't mind finding a lighter chisel pointed head that takes replaceable blades; It's a pain in the rear to take out the bear's bleeder blades to sharen the main blades. I'm sold on the idea of a chisel point BUT the truth is that the trochar points go right through the deer, as near as I can tell the deer mostly get through and through penetration from just about any head.

What I worry about is not having enough blood trail; and blood trail is heavily dependent on shot placement.

125 grain Magnus Stinger 4 blades here. Since I switched to carbon arrows out of my stickbows I needed something that screws in instead of glues on. These Stingers shoot for all practical purposes the same as my field points and they penetrate like crazy. Good blood trails so far also. 8)

I use spitfire mechanical broadheads. Fly just like field points. Get complete pass throughs. Only draw back is they're only good for one shot and regardless of what you hit, ground or game, you have to replace the blades. No sharpening on these.

Muzzy 100 3-blade. I want to try some others but the Muzzy has never let me down. They shoot like guided missiles out of my Mathews Switchback as they have out of all my bows. Why mess with a good thing?! I also carry at least one spitfire for real long range follow ups, never needed one, or for shooting coyotes; I hate to use up a perfect flyer on something that I?m not going to eat.

For the compound: Wasp Boss or Magnus Stingers
With the Crossbow: Spitfire Xp's

100gr Muzzy 3-blade!

There is NO other, at least in my quiver. Scary-razor sharp always, bone crushing and accurate with a 1-3/8" cutting area.

Started to sound like a commercial......sorry
Scott B

Muzzy 125's, been using them the last 8 years and have spiked many a deer with them. Thought about trying something different, but why bother I guess.

I like swedged aluminum arrows with 160 snuffers.

75 grain Muzzy's in the past but just picked up 6-85 grain Sonic Heads and they look like they will do the job very well...

I'm shooting Wasp 100 grain Jakhammer mechanicals and some old Bear broadheads I have had for 15 years. Both are in my quiver and I don't hesitate on which one I grab.

100 gr Teken II's worked great for me this year.

Double lunged a buck and it went 10-15yds and was dead within 2 minutes. I was amazed!

Cut on impact 2 blade Magnus 125 gr. W/ 42 gr. adapter for a total of 147gr. on XX75 2117 arrows (3 fletch white). Arrows weighs in at 535 gr. :D

I have used the Wasp,Thunderheads,and Stingers in the past but this year will be using the new Rage 2 blade expandable broadhead. Was a toss-up between that one and the Grim Reaper, but after viewing some photos of deer hit with the Rage 2 blade I am sold.
Most broadheads on the market today will kill deer efficiently,but I am after a quick bleeding cut. If, heaven-forbid I had a poor hit(yes, it does happen to us all), I need a great blood trail to track that deer.

Check out this image from Jay Gregory's WildOutdoors website.

http://www.thewildoutdoors.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=145

My old standbys have been Rocky Mountain TI's @100gr and 3 blade Muzzy @100gr - both have always worked well and flown very close to one another.

This year's experiments are looking to be the Rage 2blade, and possibly the Muzzy MX3 (easier to get locally than the Slicktrick's)

Latest posts

Back