Brushing the bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I clean my inlines I usually make a few passes with a brush to loosen stuff up before I do the patch and jag thing. When I cleaned my Renegades and Hawkens in the past I usually did a quick brush there too. I'm not sure how "needed" brushing was but I did it to feel better and then proceeded with the typical wash-out and patching .

If you are going to use a brush in a side lock you want to be certain that the brush is not crimped into the threaded base. You want a brush where you can see the heavy wires woven thru that base so the brush cannot come apart deep in the barrel. They can be a real challenge to remove if the base and brush come apart down yonder.

Everybody has a different cleaning method. Some may not brush, others might not think the gun is clean without doing it. Its all preference but if you're going to do make sure you have a brush that won't separate on you.

How often should a bore be brushed?

If you look in the Sticky section above you will find my cleaning stuff, i have pictures there of the good brushes to use, and the bad ones to avoid. When i clean a Muzzleloader i always Run a Good Bore brush back n Forth a few times.

If you look in the Sticky section above you will find my cleaning stuff, i have pictures there of the good brushes to use, and the bad ones to avoid. When i clean a Muzzleloader i always Run a Good Bore brush back n Forth a few times.
Thanks, but I only see 4 sticky notes in this section and none of them mention cleaning, am I missing something?
The reason I asked this is because I just recently picked up a used hawkens, I cleaned the barrel in hot soapy water till the patches were clean, I then rain a brush down several times and then switched to a patch with clp on it. The patch came out black, so I waited a day and did it again, same results black patch.
I'm thinking the barrel wasn't clean yet after hot soapy water bath the patches were clean, its only after I run the brush down that the following patches come out black.

Never mind, found the video, I was looking for the title to say cleaning.
thanks

If the previous owner was a user of bore butter, natural loob, etc., I feel those types of lubes cook onto the barrel into a hard crust and can be difficult to get out. So you get clean patches with the soapy water treatment (all the BP fouling is removed), but then the clp was actually dissolving the baked on bore butter and showed you a black patch IMO. I've seen the same thing in my Renegade when using Natural Loob. I do my final wipe with a Ballistol patch and when I ran a swab down the barrel a day later I'd get a dirty patch out of it. The soapy water should neutralize/remove the fouling and thus rust shouldn't be an issue, but running a swab at least once a week will let you know that everything is ok. I wouldn't sweat it too much as long as no rust is seen.
If you're shooting conicals, especially without a wad, then some leading of the barrel could be happening and could be your issue too.
I've been using either mink oil or Castor oil as a lube for quite a while now and don't have the above issue any more...I think I finally got all of the cooked on bore butter type lubes out of the barrel. I don't see any color on the patch anymore other than the bit of color from the Ballistol when I swab to get ready to go shooting again. Like they said above, buy the right kind of brush if you're going to use one. Giving it a slight twist while reversing direction helps a lot too, make sure to twist in the direction that tightens it onto the cleaning rod.

If the previous owner was a user of bore butter, natural loob, etc., I feel those types of lubes cook onto the barrel into a hard crust and can be difficult to get out. So you get clean patches with the soapy water treatment (all the BP fouling is removed), but then the clp was actually dissolving the baked on bore butter and showed you a black patch IMO. I've seen the same thing in my Renegade when using Natural Loob. I do my final wipe with a Ballistol patch and when I ran a swab down the barrel a day later I'd get a dirty patch out of it. The soapy water should neutralize/remove the fouling and thus rust shouldn't be an issue, but running a swab at least once a week will let you know that everything is ok. I wouldn't sweat it too much as long as no rust is seen.
If you're shooting conicals, especially without a wad, then some leading of the barrel could be happening and could be your issue too.
I've been using either mink oil or Castor oil as a lube for quite a while now and don't have the above issue any more...I think I finally got all of the cooked on bore butter type lubes out of the barrel. I don't see any color on the patch anymore other than the bit of color from the Ballistol when I swab to get ready to go shooting again. Like they said above, buy the right kind of brush if you're going to use one. Giving it a slight twist while reversing direction helps a lot too, make sure to twist in the direction that tightens it onto the cleaning rod.
My thoughts were the same about previous owner using bore butter. I think I got it cleaned up but brush and swab daily just to check
Thanks for insight

Back