Cut a Long 1/2' off the muzzle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS

Reaction score
IMG_0240w.jpg
My 50 cal with a 1-28 twist.

Bullets fit the bore snug, then loosen up at he muzzle.

You can see two swirls in the rifling, not sure if they were always there.

The bore was .5018", now that I cut off a long 1/2" the sized bullet slips in,

I had scrubbed the bore with steel wool wrapped around a 20 ga brush. Thinking that there was some lead in the muzzle.

Didn't help, that is when I noticed the swirls.

Any way, the new cut and crowned bore lets the .5018 bullet slide in.

Now I need to open a size die to .502".

The barrel was shooting long bullets quite well, maybe this will even help the accuracy.

Hoping that this may help someone else.

You could make a full form sizing die out of that piece of barrel. If you can cast or buy a .510 bullet and size it through the piece of barrel you would have the grooves formed in the bullet already. This is good for reduced low pressure loads or hard to obturate bullets.

You could make a full form sizing die out of that piece of barrel. If you can cast or buy a .510 bullet and size it through the piece of barrel you would have the grooves formed in the bullet already. This is good for reduced low pressure loads or hard to obturate bullets.
DeHass sent me pieces of barrels just for this purpose, it works.

I looked at one of my other barrel blanks, it has the same looking swirls in the end.

Probably why they tell you to cut an inch off the end!

I had a knight disk extreme 45 cal that had the same thing and it was choked at the muzzle. It wasn’t very good with full bore bullets but it shot saboted bullets very well.

Latest posts

Back