BUEATIES.................

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All sized and cleaned...... 300x5 = 1,500 times through the die. My arm feels it....... ;)

Out of curiosity why did you run them through a sizer 5x? Did you use gradual reductions or go through the same sizing die 5x?
Never mind. I saw your previous thread on bullet sizing. How do you do this? Do you size a whole box 1x the restart until you've done them 5x?
I wouldn't have thought you would get that much "spring back" from a bullet. Do you get that with an all lead bullet or just jacketed?

Last edited:
Never mind. I saw your previous thread on bullet sizing. How do you do this? Do you size a whole box 1x the restart until you've done them 5x?
I wouldn't have thought you would get that much "spring back" from a bullet. Do you get that with an all lead bullet or just jacketed?
I only shoot jacketed bullets.

All the bullets are combined in a plastic container. I pull one and its ran through the die 5 times and placed in a large plastic bowl. A single pass and you won't get a bullet even started in the barrel. I do not adjust the die. Its set so that after 5 passes, each bullet loads at my target force.
After the 5th time through the die, there's NEVER any spring back and each bullet will load down the barrel at my preferred force. After all the bullets have been sized and in the plastic bowl, alcohol is poured in the bowl and the bullets are cleaned of lubricant and dirt.
Bullets I sized over 1yr ago, still load at my target force of 10# +/-.

Note: Its not necessary if using Fury bullets. They will remain sized with a single pass.

That is very interesting. Thanks. So you would say as a minimum an XTP would require 5 passes to remain at .xxx" diameter? Do you size at bore diameter or under or over .001"

That is very interesting. Thanks. So you would say as a minimum an XTP would require 5 passes to remain at .xxx" diameter? Do you size at bore diameter or under or over .001"
I've never sized an XTP so I can't give an accurate answer on those. However, if they have a tendency to spring back on you, you could set the die back a mark, then pass them through any number of times to identify if they won't.

I don't size for a measurement ( .001"), but rather the actual force to load the bullet. If I size for 9-10# loading force in a CLEAN barrel, then fouled the loading force runs around 18# or so.

I guess for the average Joe what you're doing is really not necessary. But with you and the ranges you shoot you need every bit of consistency you can get. Even 0.25 MOA difference is a big difference out to 1000 yards. (about 2.6")

This, but without the brake.

View attachment 34151
very nice rifle,,, & scope,, i've had a couple night force scopes on competition rifles, & they are hard to beat! I've come close to building one of those type rifles a few times... every time i see one, i want to turn on the lathe. looks like the old rem 700 rifles,? is it converted for smokeless use?? i bet it hits hard on both ends without a brake??

Last edited:
very nice rifle,,, & scope,, i've had a couple night force scopes on competition rifles, & they are hard to beat! I've come close to building one of those a few times... every time i see one, i want to turn on the lathe! Whose action, barrel & scope??
Custom specifications.

“DUNAMIS”

Bestill Creations LLC custom .45cal.
McMillan Game Warden, Dark McWoody finished stock with adjustable cheek (bedded)
Remington 700 S/A single shot
Modified & tuned bolt w/stop, w/Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
Arrowhead Rifles breech plug
50 brass and 60 hardened modules
.250" recoil lug
Rock Creek 1:19 twist, 8 grove heavy varmint barrel.... 1.250" for 5" then straight taper to .892" at 26", 28" OAL
LR Customs T-Rex CSTM muzzle brake
Trigger Tech Diamond Pro trigger
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
40moa mount (bedded to action)
Leupold Mark4 rings

BT35-LW17 5-H Atlas Bipod

Back