Hey Mt monkey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Although 90% humidity and 70°, I just had to zero the Atacr. Really nice scope.......... :)

I set the zero with the 300gr XLD's. Put up a target and sent 4 different bullets, ALL with 120grs VOLUME of BH. NO ADJUSTMENTS TO THE SCOPE.
Shot off the bipod and rear bag.

The 3 rounds of 300gr XLD's went into a single hole. That doesn't happen every day.....

The 400gr Fury shot excellent. I'm betting it would be an outstanding hunting bullet.

The Northern Precision opened up a little, but still an acceptable group. Also it should be a great hunting bullet.

I pulled the first round of the 350gr XLD's.

thumbnail (4).jpg

Encore that looks pretty good!! And I do agree with you the fury 400 and the northern Precision 400 I think have great hunting potential I bet if you took that load to 85 grains instead of 84 that Northern Precision might suck up still that's pretty good thanks again for the report

I know and your matches you have to stick to the 84-120,, you're 19 twist shows potential with those bullets and of course it shines with that 300 good shooting

I do hope you get a chance to take the furies and the northern Precision out further four, five ,six hundred yards.

Encore that looks pretty good!! And I do agree with you the fury 400 and the northern Precision 400 I think have great hunting potential I bet if you took that load to 85 grains instead of 84 that Northern Precision might suck up still that's pretty good thanks again for the report
I'd like to take it up to 110grs WEIGHT and I'll bet they'll all shoot.

Note: 120grs VOLUME of lot#39 actually weighs 96.1grs average. I was shooting 95grs by weight.

100yds

To me that Fury 400 is the best looking bullet he's ever made I, like you, do not consider Dennis's bullets to necessarily be long distance Target bullets, but I really like their accuracy for hunting applications ,however I'm not sure that that 400 especially with the 18 twiar barrels wouldn't be a good bullet to play around a little bit at a thousand yards again I'm just curious.

To me that Fury 400 is the best looking bullet he's ever made I, like you, do not consider Dennis's bullets to necessarily be long distance Target bullets, but I really like their accuracy for hunting applications ,however I'm not sure that that 400 especially with the 18 twiar barrels wouldn't be a good bullet to play around a little bit at a thousand yards again I'm just curious.
I've got no place to shoot that distance. 600yds is my max. They built that 1,300yd range, but its zoned improperly. Without them rezoning it, they can't have memberships or conduct any types of matches. I was told only instruction until rezoned.

I really like the bullet. Even talked with Dennis today. I'd bump them up, but with a max of only 120grs volume allowed, plus the price of that damn stuff, I'll stick to the 120grsV.
I'll do as I've done before, start with a guesstimate on BC and start at 200 and move out. I'd be super impressed if that bullet holds at 600yds.

I know you must see the potential of a 400 or even a 450 grain ,possibly even 475 maybe Luke might consider adding a 400 or 425 plus grain bullet to his line the 18 twist barrels and there's a lot of them out there I think can handle them you're 19 twist handles that 400 grain, with a little tweek and I'm sure it would do even better, the 400 to 500 grain .452 bullet arena shouldn't be a solid lead only place. I hope to see big heavy jacketed bullets catch on ,I believe the accuracy potential of a well-built jacketed bullet to some degree beats everything else ,,I'm biased yes.

I'd love to see a 450 grain bullet with the profile of Luke's 350 or pitman's 350 aromax and I can't imagine a elk or a mule deer or Whitetail that would take one of those and run off.

The BC computers would burn up and freeze up, they would shut down the BC would be so high ,all the lead bullets out there would run when they saw that bullet when you whip it out at a match three of the other competitors will just go to get in the truck and leave, there might be two dumb enough to stay and shoot but it will be short and over quick.

I'll find out more about those 400's when this weather changes. If those bullets were designed like the XLD's, OMG!
I busted that buck with one of the 350's last year and it picked him up and flipped him over backwards DRT.
I was a little surprised with the recoil and the 400's. Scope just touched my nose a couple times. I may have to move it forward, especially for prone shooting.

I really think you're starting to bring out that good quality of Blackhorn, I think Black Horn shines with big heavy bullets, I had always heard that ,both the northern precision and the fury bullet in multiple 18 twists shoot great for me, I mentioned I've shot them smokeless too, and they shoot very well also, but both bullets with black horn really shot well, a lot of guys are starting to buy 18 twist barrels to go on the omega's I want them to see that other people that shoot a lot and especially, that compete out at further distances have shot both bullets I value your experience and again thank you.

I've been shooting both bullets with a big baffled muzzle brake without the break you got your hands full

I really think you're starting to bring out that good quality of Blackhorn, I think Black Horn shines with big heavy bullets, I had always heard that ,both the northern precision and the fury bullet in multiple 18 twists shoot great for me, I mentioned I've shot them smokeless too, and they shoot very well also, but both bullets with black horn really shot well, a lot of guys are starting to buy 18 twist barrels to go on the omega's I want them to see that other people that shoot a lot and especially, that compete out at further distances have shot both bullets I value your experience and again thank you.
Its FUN!

No brake for me today either. I likely won't use the brake unless I'm shooting SML. Heavy charges of H4895 and 350gr bullets would hurt without a brake.

I just wish I were about 40yrs younger and had the equipment we have available to us now. Oh my Goodness :)
About 99% of the people reading these posts, will likely never shoot any bullet beyond 200yds. I think both those bullets are going to be outstanding hunting bullets.

Back