Bullet choice for TC Hawken 50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadeuses

Reaction score
Good day all. I have a question regarding what type of bullet is suited to a TC Hawken 50 cal. percussion rifle. It's 1:48 twist stock barrel. I am aware that prb and miniball (maxiball?) are the usual go-to bullets for this rifle, but has anyone tried a sabot round? The rifle is in transit to me, so I haven't had an opportunity to try it out myself, hence the rational behind the question.
So what's the concensus out there. Yey or Ney?

Cadeuses

Re: RE: Bullet choice for TC Hawken 50

Cadeuses said:
Good day all. I have a question regarding what type of bullet is suited to a TC Hawken 50 cal. percussion rifle. It's 1:48 twist stock barrel. I am aware that prb and miniball (maxiball?) are the usual go-to bullets for this rifle, but has anyone tried a sabot round? The rifle is in transit to me, so I haven't had an opportunity to try it out myself, hence the rational behind the question.
So what's the concensus out there. Yey or Ney?

Cadeuses
I've got a Traditions mountain rifle with a 48 twist. I've shot Hornady 225 grain ftx 45 caliber bullets with sabots. They shoot good. When spring gets here I'm going to try 250 grain bullets.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

Maxi-balls, Maxi-hunters, Lee reals, Lyman/Hornady Plains bullets etc., etc. have done all I've ever needed in my T/C guns. :yeah:

I was playing with my New Englander this weekend at 50 yards using Lee 50 caliber 440 pistol bullet and Lee 50 Caiber Minie both paper patched. Charge was using 60-90 grains of 777 in 10 grain increments . Results were consistent regardless of powder charge. Nothing spectacular, just centered the best I could with open sights. Perhaps if I were using a peep or a scope my groups would tighten up but this is plenty good if I were hunting at this range.

The New Englander also has the 1-48 twist similar to the Hawken.

Attachments

• IMG_20180312_025143_kindlephoto-811043009.jpg
    IMG_20180312_025143_kindlephoto-811043009.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180312_024922_kindlephoto-811094980.jpg
    IMG_20180312_024922_kindlephoto-811094980.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180312_024855_kindlephoto-811137807.jpg
    IMG_20180312_024855_kindlephoto-811137807.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 113
Would very much like to try some sabots in a 1-48 twist, just having done so yet.

my Renegade before I had barrel redone to .54 would shoot the 240 gr XTPs with green sabot pretty good at 50 yds even though the barrel was trashed, pitted/very badly.It shot about a 2 in. 3 shot group using 90 gr of 2f Goex.

I will definitely have to give it a try when I receive the rifle, which should be here by Friday. I have an inline TC Encore Pro Hunter in .50 which is designed to shoot sabot bullets of course. I was asking about sabots out of a .50 Hawken because if they do shoot well, I could stick to one type of bullet instead of a whole slew of different lead bullets that I would need to purchase (trying to conserve $$ spent).

Anyway, once I get a chance to get out and actually fire the rifle, I will post the findings here. 1:48 twist might be a little slow for the sabots, but I look forward to the testing.

Cadeuses

Cadeuses said:
I will definitely have to give it a try when I receive the rifle, which should be here by Friday. I have an inline TC Encore Pro Hunter in .50 which is designed to shoot sabot bullets of course. I was asking about sabots out of a .50 Hawken because if they do shoot well, I could stick to one type of bullet instead of a whole slew of different lead bullets that I would need to purchase (trying to conserve $$ spent).

Anyway, once I get a chance to get out and actually fire the rifle, I will post the findings here. 1:48 twist might be a little slow for the sabots, but I look forward to the testing.

Cadeuses

I believe it is Lehigh that makes a bullet/sabot combo for the 1:48 Twist, I remember Sabotloader just doing this at the Rock pit not long ago, Hopefully he will chime in here, i remember it had me interested in trying Sabots in my stock TC 1:48 Twist barrels. I bet you can find it if you use the search feature in the upper right corner

Idaholewis said:
Cadeuses said:

Cadeuses

I believe it is Lehigh that makes a bullet/sabot combo for the 1:48 Twist, I remember Sabotloader just doing this at the Rock pit not long ago, Hopefully he will chime in here, i remember it had me interested in trying Sabots in my stock TC 1:48 Twist barrels. I bet you can find it if you use the search feature in the upper right corner

I found it here: http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30588&hilit=lehigh+1:48+twist

I think the difficulty now would be finding a Lehigh supplier in Ontario.... :shock:

Cadeuses

Cadeuses said:
Idaholewis said:
Cadeuses said:

Cadeuses

I found it here: http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30588&hilit=lehigh+1:48+twist

I think the difficulty now would be finding a Lehigh supplier in Ontario.... :shock:

Cadeuses

Cadeuses, That was the thread i was talking about, good search!! Your location might be a problem? Hopefully someone that knows more will chime in.

Back