bullet for best blood trail with a 50 cal. ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot deer through the lungs, behind the front shoulder because I try to kill them without a lot of damage. I don’t shoot very far, they’ve all been killed from 10 to 90 yards, mostly around 40 or 50. I’ve used T/C 250 grain shock wave bullets for a long time and never had a problem recovering deer. They’ve always gone through and the deer tend to run from 0 to 75 yards or so.
If you read the Internet you’ll learn that that’s the worst bullet ever created.

I use the bullet below from my 1/28 twist. Knight Elite.

305gr Hollow Point lead bullets 44 caliber
305gr 44 caliber hand cast hollow point lead bullets for your 44 caliber needs. These are a heavyweight 305 grain bullet great for hunting or self...

If they dont drop on the spot the blood trail is ampl

For me Traditional guns I have used PRB but am going to try conicals.

that's a good looking bullet and the price is definitely right !
says they are available in .429 , .430 and .432 ..... what sabot would be recommended for them in a .50 cal. ?

this looks interesting for a few more $

https://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=95
and it's available in .452 so i'm thinking the petals on the sabot would be thinner .....

does petal thickness on sabots make much difference in accuracy . for example there doesn't seem to be many folks here fond of using .40 cal. bullets with .50 sabots ..... or am i misunderstanding something ?

i currently have saved to my favs for future reference no excuses , harvester scorpion white lightning and the GT's above . the GT's are a bit behind ..... ""We are still experiencing extreme delays shipping due to the high volume of orders we were receiving for @ 23 months. We are currently processing/shipping orders for March 15 - 30 . " and they're about 6 weeks behind . i'll probably just order the XPT 250's and crush sabots for something cheap and apparently accurate to get on paper with and order one of the others to help me feel more confident to actually hunt with .

Last edited:
Make a heart shot, low right behind the front leg and you'll get dead deer and blood. Shot placement is key to success

THAT, RIGHT UP THERE IN BOLD.

I can kill a whitetail with a marble. Shot placement is everything regardless of the bullet or object used.
This topic was covered a few years back, likely before some had joined MM. What one needs to understand is the animal's anatomy. Shooting anything through both lungs will kill it but, a high shot in the lungs may not bleed, even with an exit. In many cases the body cavity must fill with blood before heavy external blood loss. Then there's also the possibility that fat, meat and hair can obstruct the entrance and exits. There can be multiple factors and it's not always cut and dried.

As others have mentioned, a lower shot, specifically the heart, will cause blood immediately to flow excessively.

Now........ we've all heard the stories of, 'I shot it right through the boiler room and it never bled a drop and we never found that buck'. Really?

deer kill zone.jpg

I have shot several deer over the last few years with My CVA Acura using 75 Grains weight BH 209 and a 250 Grain Maximus Bullet from Cutting Edge Bullets with a Green Harvester Crush Rib Sabot. I use this combo because it is very accurate in my gun and I have never had problems finding blood even though most of the deer went down within sight. Use a bullet/sabot combination that you can achieve excellent accuracy with consistently. I like them 225 grains and heavier but have rarely gone above 250 grains for Indiana Deer.

I've had great results with 44 cal (slightly more SD) Speer or Hornady 300Gr Softpoints. 300Gr always full penetration even on heavily angled shots. Big bucks only run about 30-40 yards before collapsing and stumbling on the way. Had one I shot at 30 yards and very angled shot. I fired and he stood there looking around. While I tried to quietly reload he took a step or two and then just fell over. Similar to some bowhunting videos I have seen where deer acts like it was a bee sting and just looked around till collapse.

Most people report better accuracy with thinner sabots. I'm not sure I can tell the difference. I believe sabots have gotten much better over time, but if you want to play the odds, order .45-70 bullets (.458 dia.). I don't know why jacketed centerfire bullets are cheaper than most muzzleloading bullets, but they often are.

Expansion depends on velocity, but I've found that pure lead bullets expand so much that they usually don't exit. The GT bullets are harder than pure lead (around 11 bhn), but still soft enough to expand. A hardcast bullet from Harvester will penetrate front to back on an elk, but didn't kill fast enough to suit me.

The GT bullets are harder than pure lead (around 11 bhn), but still soft enough to expand.
We've killed about 6 deer so far with the GT bullets. The .430 255 and 305. 3 DRT, 2 stumbled 20 and 35 yards. 1 Broadside made it about 80 yards, Very satisfied with accuracy using a MMP green sabot. Didn't know anyone else used them.

As so many have said, "location, location, location". That being said, we certainly don't always hit our intended location and we need that blood trail you are talking about. Ideally then, you are looking for the most expansion, mixed with an exit hole. I hunt with bullets that I know my gun shoots accurately, and then factor in wound channel and exit holes. I have used many bullets over the years and have found that 300gr Barnes Original Semi Spitzers with .458 orange sabots from MMP and 300gr Fury bonded bullets with the same sabots are the best for the combination of accuracy/damage/blood trail. Again, different rifles are going to like different bullet/sabot/powder combinations. Accuracy is the number one thing you need to look for in a bullet, and the terminal energy and blood trail are secondary. I will add that a bullet I have stopped using that was extremely accurate for me is the 300gr Parker Ballistic Extreme. The accuracy was excellent with these out of several of my muzzleloaders, but out of the 3 deer harvested with this bullet, 2 of the 3 bullets did not exit and the jacket separated each time from the lead. After separation the lead did not hold its mass and was badly fragmented. That being said, all three deer died quickly and didn't travel far, but I knew I had other bullet options with similar accuracy where the bullet would function better upon impact. Parker bullets are heralded as some of the best, I am only providing my limited experience with them. I would also note that the 3 deer harvested were by youths, all under 15 with a 100gr triple seven charge. Maybe the lower velocity had something to do with the terminal performance of the bullet. I am having a smokeless model built right now for exceptional range and wouldn't hesitate to try some Parker bullets with that gun (and probably will). As a final note, I will mention that I, and many people I know have had a great deal of success with Powerbelts. They get bashed on here pretty badly, but I have never had a poor result with the Powerbelt Platinum 270gr bullets. They have always been very accurate when I was using my CVA Accura rifle, and they are the bullets are have switched to for the youths that I take hunting (easy to push down the barrel for them and they flat out do the job, and that is with 2 50gr triple seven pellets). All that being said, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION- stick with the most accurate bullet you find and go from there.

thanks folks . i've got a little assortment now so see what groups best and go from there .
i'm hoping the .458 monoflex and barns TEZ shoot good , i like the way they flower even at lower velocities .

Back