Sizing bullets for Paramount 45 Cal HTR. - target shooting.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having having an ongoing issue with figuring out the best size to size my bullets for my Paramount using my Hankin's 45 Cal adjustable sizing die.

My bore diameter seems to be around .4535. lately I've been shooting Fury 250 grain .452 star tip 2BP knurled to .453, Fury 265 grain .453 STB (yellow tipped), and Arrowhead 300 grain .453 XLD (aluminum tipped) bullets (those seem to shoot the worst with my size and choice of wadding, they shoot extra high.)

Currently I'm sizing my bullets to .4515, using either 50 cal cardboard veggie wads or 54 cal Southern Bloomer Lubricated Felt Wads from Sportsman's Warehouse.

The size I've chosen is loose enough to where they all go down easily with 1 or 2 fingers. I'm wondering if maybe I need to go a bit tighter. It's difficult because anyone who owns a Paramount knows the barrel changes in size at different points down the barrel. I've already contacted a gunsmith and I plan to convert it to smokless with a Brux barrel later this year, but any advice would be appreciated.

I'll post a pic of my latest trip to the range and my load this time was 105 grains of Blackhorn 209. Another weird thing is I've been using those Bosnian GINEX primers, but I recently bought a 10 pack of Standard Winchester LR primers, and I re-primed a module with one of those and got the best shot of the day. Maybe a fluke? Anyway, I took out all the Bosnian primers and put in Winchester primers just in case.20230704_020220.jpg

yes I would say the same
should have a we bit more pressure to seat

Yeh, even with a fouled bore they,re easy to load. I guess I'll have to try and knurl them up a bit. Thanks.
In general......................... bullet to bore loading forces in a fouled barrel, should run right around 20# +/-. Seating should require both hands smoothly, but not a hammer. Those XLD's, if sized correctly and with the right charge can shoot lights out in some Paramounts. They should shoot somewhat higher as their BC is very high.
Knurl some up and try them with a higher loading force.
Those Paramount rifles, which IIRC they stopped making for who knows how long, giving the excuse of the lack of BH209, have a lot of QC problems with barrels. Choked, inconsistent bores, you name it.

ONLY CVA will design a bullet, then try to design a rifle specific to that bullet.

I still need to get the bastard files for the knurling, but fortunately I only did maybe 10-12 of the Arrowhead XLDs in that size and I just got a new package from Dennis of the Fury star tips and I still have quite a few tighter fitted ones from earlier.

I tried one from the new pack after adjusting the die a couple times, first time, waaaay too tight, but. On the 2nd turn it's pretty tight, but not so much that I need to hammer it to get through to the other side. It. My caliper reads about .4525

Does anyone have any experience with the new Muzzle-loader.com side ported muzzle break? I'm using the Anarchy Outdoors one. Stupidly, I bought 3 packs of the 45 Cal Power belt ELR's with my Paramount. All I get is flyers with my brake.

I'll probably just wait for the Brux barrel SM conversion for a better better more heavy duty brake.

Rushgoodfella: you’re not alone with this issue. I’m still testing my Paramount (very slowly). And am beginning to wonder if I simply haven’t fired enough rounds through the barrel. I’ve been balking at shooting it because of the scarcity and now the cost of Blackhorn. I’m headed to Scheels in a few minutes to buy some cheaper Shooters World black substitute and will shoot a pile of (free) cast lead bullets. Tim Moss’ videos explain that at least 100 rounds are necessary for the groups to tighten up.

Paramount, MR-X , LR-X and most other CVA’s have issues with inconsistent bores trying to get a good combination to shoot is very costly.
(Ask me how I know). My solution was to get a CVA Scout 45-70 and sent it to Jeff Hankins for conversion to smokeless. Sure wish I had done this before I dropped a load on money on a MR-X cost really wasn’t much more than
MR-X. The gun is amazingly accurate and so much fun to shoot.

Hello,

I've been having having an ongoing issue with figuring out the best size to size my bullets for my Paramount using my Hankin's 45 Cal adjustable sizing die.

My bore diameter seems to be around .4535. lately I've been shooting Fury 250 grain .452 star tip 2BP knurled to .453, Fury 265 grain .453 STB (yellow tipped), and Arrowhead 300 grain .453 XLD (aluminum tipped) bullets (those seem to shoot the worst with my size and choice of wadding, they shoot extra high.)

Currently I'm sizing my bullets to .4515, using either 50 cal cardboard veggie wads or 54 cal Southern Bloomer Lubricated Felt Wads from Sportsman's Warehouse.

The size I've chosen is loose enough to where they all go down easily with 1 or 2 fingers. I'm wondering if maybe I need to go a bit tighter. It's difficult because anyone who owns a Paramount knows the barrel changes in size at different points down the barrel. I've already contacted a gunsmith and I plan to convert it to smokless with a Brux barrel later this year, but any advice would be appreciated.

I'll post a pic of my latest trip to the range and my load this time was 105 grains of Blackhorn 209. Another weird thing is I've been using those Bosnian GINEX primers, but I recently bought a 10 pack of Standard Winchester LR primers, and I re-primed a module with one of those and got the best shot of the day. Maybe a fluke? Anyway, I took out all the Bosnian primers and put in Winchester primers just in case.View attachment 35704
I have given up on bullet to bore in my Paramount. My barrel is identical to yours as far as bore size is concerned. Its pretty uniform top to bottom with a barely perceptible loosening close to the breech. I've tried no less than a half dozen different bullets and I finally found an acceptably accurate load with a 275gr Fury Star Tip 2P in a Harvester light blue sabot over 77.4 grains weighed of BH209. I have the Arrowhead LRMP conversion done using CCI #250 primers. I was too bull headed to try a sabot load early on but I got tired of wasting money on 45 bullets so I gave in and tried the combination I stated and it shoots really well... sub MOA at 100 yards and right at MOA at 200. I'd like to eventually rebarrel mine like you're talking about but honestly it finally shoots well enough to actually be able to hunt with...I think I'll just let it be...for now anyway.

Back