Bullet for traditions hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aland

Reaction score
I have a traditions Hawken kit in. 50 cal, it has a 1:48 twist, I am useing T7 ffg and want to use the tc maxi hunter in 350 gr. Can this bullet be shot and still maintain accuracy with this slow of a twist? Or should i get a shorter bullet? What load should I start at? I also heard that T7 burns hotter than bp and could melt the lead on the back of the bullet. Is this true and wouldn't any propellant melt the lead to some extent? They recommended a wad under the bullet, is this necessary?
This is my first traditional kit and any help and hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing .

[email protected]

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum!

The TC Maxi Hunter should work fine in your 1:48 Twist rifle, TC designed the Maxi Hunter and their Maxi Ball bullets to shoot in their 1:48 Twist Rifles.

Triple 7 Powder is definitely some HOT stuff! I just recently bought a can of it and tried it for the first time, Hearing the same thing you have about the Extra Heat Triple 7 Generates from guy’s like Sabotloader (Our site administrator) and Several others here, I decided to test 2 of my most Fragile components with the Triple 7 to see if they would hold up to the Heat it generates? My Powder charge was right at 80 Grains by Volume of Triple 7 3F, I used an Oxyoke brand 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wad, and a Paper Patched Bullet, This was in my .45 Caliber Rifle, i chose to use .50 Caliber Wool Felt OP Wads for the Extra seal behind the Paper Patched Bullet and i am Glad i did! I recovered a few of the Wool Wads that i had shot and they Definitely showed more damage than what i see when using Real Blackpowder (Swiss Real Black is my powder of choice) My Group was Good on Target, So it definitely worked :yeah: But I’m not sure how much more The Wool Felt would have taken? Another option for Over Powder Wads is Circle Fly Nitro Cards in .510 Diameter for .50 Caliber, Tho i MUCH prefer Wool Felt Wads with Grease Groove bullets. I would DEFINITELY use an Over Powder Wad with Triple 7 powder, I can see how the Heat of T 7 Could easily Melt the Base of a Lead Bullet, And since the Bullet base is what actually steers the bullet you want to protect it!! I use Over Powder Wads with all powder/bullet Combos to create a Solid Gas seal behind the Bullet

Here is the Over Powder wads i spoke of, If you scroll down through the Sub Forums to the Sidelock section you will find all of this stuff there :yeah:

SWt1PMMm.jpg

Thank you for the speedy responses. I am new to this BP style and this forum is just what the doctor ordered. I have been shooting this with out any wads ( PRB, and the belted bullets). I have a bag of wool felt wads on the way and then I am going to the resight it in with the maxi hunter bullet. I was useing the belted bullet and would notice a rough area about midway in the bore when I ran a patch down which I did after each shot. Could this be unburnt powder or more likely melted plastic from the belt on the bullet? I was shooting 90 grains of 777. Other people don't seem to be useing that much powder charge. I think when I resight this in I will start with 70-80 grains with the maxi hunter 350 gr. Bullet . What charge would you recommend? Thanks again, Alan

I guess it depends on how far you want to shoot ? I'm assuming 100 yards or so I would start at 70 don't forget triple 7 about 20 percent hotter than black. Also I always use felt wads one size over bore size so if shooting a 50 cal I use a 54 wad .

The Traditions manual says the most accurate load for PRB is 50-75 gr. ffg. 45-70 gr. fffgAnd the max load for my hawken is 110 ffg and 105 fffg. They also say this is using a black powder and the only substitute suitable is pyrex rs. I have a pound and a half of 777 ffg. Since this burns hotter should I reduce the amount of powder for any load? Would 70 gr. 777 be equal to100 gr. of bp?

70 grains 777 is good it's about equal to 90 grs. Black give or take but the most important part is accuracy and distance not just to say I'm shooting the most my rifle can shoot I would say up or down from 70 maybe 5 grs either direction you should be good out to 75 yards or so depending on bullet and animal .

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

BTW I am shooting 350 gr. maxi hunter. Hopefully at an Elk next week. 100 yard shot would be nice.

Re: RE: Re: Bullet for traditions hawken

aland said:
BTW I am shooting 350 gr. maxi hunter. Hopefully at an Elk next week. 100 yard shot would be nice.
Great where you hunting?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

aland said:

Good Bullet Choice for an Elk :yeah: And Good Luck on your Elk Hunt!

Thank you , and in answer , Idaho, Boise River, unit 39 any weapon, antlered only, There were a couple of bulls where I Turkey hunt in the spring . I had them,
and a cow with a calf come in to my diaphragm call. They were there at the same draw every weekend and a lot of old sign too. I have not been up to check the trail cam.

aland said:
Thank you , and in answer , Idaho, Boise River, unit 39 any weapon, antlered only, There were a couple of bulls where I Turkey hunt in the spring . I had them,
and a cow with a calf come in to my diaphragm call. They were there at the same draw every weekend and a lot of old sign too. I have not been up to check the trail cam.

Have you guy’s had much wolf problem down there? I live in Priest River Unit 1, it was HORRIBLE Elk hunting up here this year. We have LOTS of Turkey, Merriams. You guy’s have mostly Rio down there right?

We have a few small packs, but definitely there are more wolves up north. We seem to have a lot of feline activity this year . And our turkeys are merriam with a few places that are suited for the Rio. Parma farm land etc. I prefer to hunt in the mountains outside of Boise. And the low land hunts are controlled apply. I do, and have drawn five times .

Back