Bullet & load thoughts from Newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich M

Reaction score
The CVA Wolf came in! So, off to Bass Pro I go... They are way over priced for ML stuff. It gave me a chance to cool down and re-think my options.

After research, I'm seeing the Hornady Great Plains in 385 gr doing pretty good at 100 yds. Lead conicals seem EZ and SIMPLE.

300 gr Hornady XTP and Speer Gold Dots being recommended for use with the Harvester crush rib sabbot or MMP sabbots 12 or 24.

Lastly, there is some positive information on the 295 gr powerbelts - slow 'em down - who would've thought? :wink: Too expensive at $1/shot.

Most loads seem to be around 80-90 gr 777, Pyro, or Jim Skockley Gold. One post was awesome - showing the difference between the three powders with the same bullet (GP 385). Now I see why everyone wants a 1/4 pound can to test with.

I'm thinking of trying the GP and XTP w/Harvester CR sabots with the popular 80-90 gr of 777 or Pyrodex.

Is this a good place to start?

Please feel free to give suggestions - the shorter the learning curve, the better.

A couple years ago a friend asked me to help her son with a new rifle she bought him. It was a Beartooth Magnum. That is the same thing as a CVA Wolf. So we met at my range and we got that rifle tuned in very fast. It shot 85 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and a 240 grain Hornady XTP and some 245 gr Powerbelts excellent. He ended up hunting with the 240 grain XTP I think it was and scored a nice doe at around 30 yards...

Start your load testing at 80 grains. The 240 & 300 grain XTP should shoot well. If your hunting deer, that would be an excellent load out to 120 yards. The Great Plains Conicals might shoot well also. All you can do is try.

Powerbelts they claim are better when not pushed hard. People shooting them with 80 grains of powder are getting excellent accuracy and excellent performance with them. But I agree, at a buck a shot, they can keep them.

Another conical like Powerbelts are called Saber Tooth Conicals. I shoot them in my Knight rifles with excellent results..

Good luck with your rifle. Hope this information helps.

Wolf

I was shooting Wolf for a couple years, loved it and still use it when I am hunting the thick stuff. Your load range is correct. Nice gun for hunting shots under 100 yards. Barrel is short.
The thing I want to stress most w/ that gun is to clean clean clean it immediately after any use. It isn't hard to clean and is fun. Hunt Safe!

If I picked up a CVA Wolf today...I'd get either(or BOTH) 250gr SSTs or 250gr XTPs and a jug of ffg Triple Se7en. I'd start shooting groups with 80gr and maybe go to 100gr as long as groups stayed small. I sighted in a Wolf for a guy using that load. I have to say it shot great! I'd also buy a Knight .50cal range rod for swabbing between shots.

Congrats on the new smoker the Wolf is a purrrdy good little gun !

I really depends on were you hunt IE open or thick cover IMO I would go with a T7 2fg powder and a 44cal .430 300gr XTP has a High BC and good Sec. Dencaty I would also go with a green crush Rib sabot from harvester Start off with 80gr of powder and work your way up not to Exceed 100gr . This type of load is good for both open & thick cover.

Latest posts

Back