Bullet lubing question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
Ok guys I got a ton..and I mean close to 600 lead conicals in a buyout..some are the Buffalo bullet company conicals , some are maxi balls and some are maxi hunters…they all have dried lube on them..I plan to soak them in acetone and use a tooth brush to remove the hardened lube..

Question #1 how do you guys lube a knurled bullet such as the buffalo bullet conicals? By hand??

Question 2 the maxi hunters are all in great shape and I plan to Pan lube them..what’s the best way to cut them from the lube once it’s cured?? One thought was a speed loader and push them through it.. I seen some companies sell a tool that pushes over the bullet and you can push it back out..but I don’t See any in .54 caliber wich is the most common of these bullets I have..

The maxi balls will get melted down to use later on..anyone know if they are pure lead?

I should also add that I do have multiple “pre luber” tools that t/c used to sell for the maxis but I don’t use bore butter so they are almost useless to me

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
You can pan lube all the bullets. I use an 8" cake pan. Once the lube sets you can just flip the pan over and push them out from the bottom side. For my 45 cal bullets I use a 45-70 brass to pull them out.
Your speed loader thing is a good idea but I don't think you'd be able to push it thru the lube once its set. Maybe if you sharpened the end!
Maybe you can get your hands on a 50 BMG case or 500 S&W case

You can pan lube all the bullets. I use an 8" cake pan. Once the lube sets you can just flip the pan over and push them out from the bottom side. For my 45 cal bullets I use a 45-70 brass to pull them out.
Your speed loader thing is a good idea but I don't think you'd be able to push it thru the lube once its set. Maybe if you sharpened the end!
Maybe you can get your hands on a 50 BMG case or 500 S&W case
The casing is a good idea..I have a few spent 450 bushmaster casings that will work well for the 45s, my local gun store has a Ton of old spent casings laying around I’m sure I could find a 500 in the bin..the .54 cal are the only ones I can’t seem
To come up with an idea for

Sure. It's a liquid lube about the consistency(and look) of teriyaki sauce. Put cast bullets and a little BLL in a container and swirl and shake them up. Dump them out on some wax paper and let them flash off

To cut out the 54's I found a piece of 1/2 in copper pipe fit perfectly. I found it in my scrap box and there was only 1 out of four that fit. I also used a 54 speed loader. some are tighter than others.. If you'd like to lighten your load of the hunters in either cal please PM me. I'll take them as is.

The casing is a good idea..I have a few spent 450 bushmaster casings that will work well for the 45s, my local gun store has a Ton of old spent casings laying around I’m sure I could find a 500 in the bin..the .54 cal are the only ones I can’t seem
To come up with an idea for
If you get the cases pop out the primer and drill out the primer pocket. I put a #10 screw in it so after cutting it out of the lube you can push it out of the case. For the .54 maybe you can find the appropriate size tubing in a hardware store.

Hi y'all. I'm new to muzzleloaders.

Are the .50 cal lead balls I'm buying pre lubed or is this why I use a lubed patch?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is lubing the bullet for hand cast? Or instead of a patch?

Thanks.

Are the .50 cal lead balls I'm buying pre lubed or is this why I use a lubed patch?

Thanks.
Balls arent lubed, they have no real way to hold lube and arent directional(?). Bullets with lube grooves get pan or hand lubed. Your patches can be bought lubed or unlubed. Lots of folks like to buy unlubed patches so they can use whichever lube they like, or just some oil.

Thanks.
More directly, yes round ball needs patches and generally you need lube on those patches to help keep the powder fouling soft.

I’m not a big fan of pan lubing but the best way I’ve found was to line the pan with Saran Wrap and after pouring the lube into the pan, (I use a turkey baster for a bit more precision) I let the lube cool until it’s just solidified and then lift it out and begin popping the bullets out. If the lube is too cold it can often break and, depending on the grooves, pop right out of the grooves. Which is irritating. i really prefer to lubrisize through the Lyman 450.

Balls don't have to be lubed as they never touch the rifling. Like a bullet in a sabot. The patch material is what engages the rifling and drops off once the patch/ball leave the muzzle. Patch thickness and type of lube have a direct affect on accuracy. i.e.: just changing your lube can drastically increase or decrease accuracy. Same with patch material and/or thickness.

I’m not a big fan of pan lubing but the best way I’ve found was to line the pan with Saran Wrap and after pouring the lube into the pan, (I use a turkey baster for a bit more precision) I let the lube cool until it’s just solidified and then lift it out and begin popping the bullets out. If the lube is too cold it can often break and, depending on the grooves, pop right out of the grooves. Which is irritating. i really prefer to lubrisize through the Lyman 450.
All I do is pan lube and have no trouble. If your lube is coming off the bullets when you push them out then its too hard

Latest posts

Back