Lube Application?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho PRB

Reaction score
Conical shooting is relatively new to me. My question is "how are you applying lube to your bullets?". I am using SPG, which I melt in a bouble boiler, dip the bullet in as deep as I want it lubed then set on parchment paper to cool. I then size as needed for whatever rifle I cast them for. My GPH actually shoots them best unsized so after scraping lube off base of bullet, those are ready to go.
How do you guys do it?

Im new to casting. I have cast a few REAL bullets for my .50 cal. I used SPG as well, double boiled, with my bullets standing up in a silicone loaf pan, then let harden. After the first batch , I pushed the bullets out of the cake and reheated with more bullets in the holes of the pushed out ones. The lube sticks pretty good in my case. Im going to try powdercoating the next batch. Looks like less mess, faster then pan lubing.
K

Last edited:
NOTHING wrong with what you’re doing! I’ve done it that way.

I like pan lubing- stand them up in a pan, fill with lube until you get the coverage you want.

Let the lube harden partially, then cut out with a piece of tubing, a la the old Lyman “Kake Kutter.”

Drop new bullets in the holes, reheat the lube, add a bit more to get the coverage you want. Repeat!

Basically, very similar to what you’ve been doing…

Latest posts

Back