Bullet lubing question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do what I did when I started pan lubing. I went on Facebook Marketplace and found a used toaster oven. Works great.
To get the old lube off simply lay a piece of folded newspaper or waxed paper on the tray and stand the bullets up. Pop them in the oven for about 20 mins until all the lube melts off than take them out to cool.
Not sure what to do about the .54 cal bullets but really any of the bullets you can place standing up in a 8" cake pan and add enough lube to fill the lube bands. (or knulls as it were). Don't put too much in and cover too much of the bullet. Best to do one type at a time starting with the shortest.

Once I push my bullets out from the bottom of the lube pan or cut them out with a casing as described above I leave the holes in the lube. Then when I want to lube some more I just place the bullets in the existing holes and remelt the lube in my toaster oven adding any lube as necessary.

Clem, I always push them out with my fingers. In doing that most times the cake if you want to call it that breaks apart. I therefore remelt the lube and pour the lube in the pan until all groves are covered.

I don’t have a cutter to cut/pull my bullets out. But it should work just fine by putting the bullets into the same hole and add a little lube as required.

It used to break for me too until I started being more careful how I supported it. And I push the bullets out with the eraser end of a pencil for my .50 cals. If you can get you hands on a fired 45-70 case and drill out the primer pocket to accept a 10-32 screw you have the perfect way to cut out a .45 cal (.451") bullet cleanly from the hardened lube.
Or you can just get the bullets out any way, remelt the lube and let it set then use the case to make holes in the lube for the bullets.

BLL is what I use for lube. But anymore I just powder coat now
I believe we are talking BP and subs which are all going to require a lube to soften fowling , I PC just to increase an undersize conical but still lube otherwise your stuck . I use the original recipe for BBL however I believe only useful for smokeless and high velocity prevention of leading , not fouling/ Ed

Last edited:
When pan lubing I like my lube to be firm but not hard. Too hard and its like bad karma said, the lube won't stick to the bullet. If your lube is too hard melt it down and add something like peanut oil or olive oil to it to soften it up some. You don't want it tacky but you want it to melt/soften when rubbed between your fingers.

for my .45s I use a fired 45-70 case. What I did was popped out the primer and drilled a hole big enough to accommodate a #10 bolt. Went to the hardware store and got a couple nuts, a 3" bolt and a rubber nuts. I put 2 nuts on and ran them up the bolt then put the bolt thru the hole in the case. screwed a nut and the rubber nut on the end of the bolt and locked it in place with the nut.
Pushed the rubber nut into the case so it was flush with the case mouth and the other nuts were screwed down to the base of the case. This way you won't push the screw down too far and push the rubber nut out.
Depending on the length of the bullet you're removing from the lube you can get 1, 2, even 3 bullets cut out at a time. When you cut them out you just push on the bolt head and out it comes with very little excess lube.

Latest posts

Back