Bullet selection for elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were correct about my initial calculation. It is 112" not 117".
Calculating from 0" (100 yds)
I come up with a difference in drop of 17.2" which at 425 yds should be right about 4 MOA

Well THAT’S news to me. Must be that thinner air that makes you see things more clearly...lol
Glad you've started shooting long range. There's a lot to learn. I'm not sure about the thinner air, but a quality range finder shouldn't be a problem out west, or out east. The Leupold I have is accurate (so far) and will give up hill or down hill ranges. Archery also. New batteries always help ;)

Well THAT’S news to me. Must be that thinner air that makes you see things more clearly...lol
It’s not that rangefinders work any differently here in the west. It’s that at long range in mountain hunting situations (with limbs, trees, brush, rocks) it’s easy to get an inaccurate reading because the unit is reading on something else. One has to practice with a rangefinder some to see exactly where the laser is really reading and what the shape of the beam is especially at long range. I use and recommend high-end Leica range-finding binos.

Here’s a great podcast on how rangefinders work (or don’t).

I have 2 Leupolds and with my first one I was having a problem in the thick eastern woods until I called Leupold and they instructed me how to set it up to avoid incorrect readings like brush and such.
Once set up you can eliminate such things as first target readings.
So really, east, west, north or south it won't matter. But yes you do have to practice.

Seems as tho I should have clarified some things when creating the original post. I am from northern utah where we live at arounf 6000' or elevation i shoot once a week at a mountain range at around 7500' of elevation. I have been deep into the centefire long range target/hunting community for years now and have learned alot that translated directly into this long range muzzleloader. I would like to say i am an experianced western hunter. I shoot 1300 yards once a week with my CF rifles. And to anwser the questions YES i have spent more on a scope then I did the gun its self.
First- All ballictic info and MOA dials will be coming directly out of my kestrel 5700. I have used this for years and it works great when using it correctly. ive been testing this with both bullets mentioned and its been spot on. I run a sig 5k range finder and find it extremly accurate at all ranges.
Second- The guide I have elected to hire is very reputable, I asked what will increase my odds at the biggest bull on the property and he said get very good with my muzzleloader at extended range and when they call the bull in closer all the better. I brought up the 400-500 yard number and they said if I am capable at that distance all the better.
In my opinion these rifles are capable and effective out to 500 yards with the ballistics I have seen at my elevation and tempreture. I am seeing 4" groups at 400 yards and I am remaining well under MOA at 600 yards.
I appreciate all sides and opinons on this matter. I hope to shoot the bull at 100 yards but being that it is a once in a lifetime tag I am doing everything in my power while staying well within the rules to give me the best chance at success.

Last edited:
I guess that’s why I was looking for details on what type of a shot you realistically expected. Rut hunt on private property (CWMU?) you’ll likely be shooting a bull at less than 100 yards.

A bullet that performs well at 500 may or may not perform well at under 100 yards especially if were a quartering on shot up close. I’d pick a bullet based on the most likely shot.

View attachment 37999

Made it happen. Decided to go with the the Arrowhead XLD 300 grain with 105 grains of Blackhorn. Shot the bull at 357 yards. Hit him right behind the shoulder and got a complete pass through. Bullet did it’s job and created an incredible blood trail bull went 25 yards and fell over dead.
Congratulations!!

Got to love those XLD's.

View attachment 37999

Made it happen. Decided to go with the the Arrowhead XLD 300 grain with 105 grains of Blackhorn. Shot the bull at 357 yards. Hit him right behind the shoulder and got a complete pass through. Bullet did it’s job and created an incredible blood trail bull went 25 yards and fell over dead.
Thanks for posting in here K.
Congrats on a fine bull & great shooting. I'm happy for you.

Latest posts

Back