Bullet selection

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth96

Reaction score
I've been using Hornady XTPs with the black MMP sabot in my Savage ML-II.. want to try something different. I wanted to try Hornady #4500s and/or Barnes #457010's. However, Barnes says theirs will be out of stock till March.. just in time for muzzleloader season (NOT!).. Has anyone tried the Nosler #51834 with orange MMPs from a muzzleloader? I cn't find much info on them for MLs.

Since you expressed an interest in the 0.458 Nosler silver tip, you may be interested in the 0.458 Nosler ballistic tip muzzle loader # 50300. They are available at Buds Gunshop. Myself, i have never taken them hunting, but i did do some shooting at paper and water jugs, described in the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24615

Muley Hunter said:
You have a ML season in March?

He said just in time for ML Season in MArch >>>>NOT

I think he is going to have a hard time finding the 4500's anywhere. I think they are discontinued.

Getting to Gareth96 post.

The Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertips in .458 can be bought in bulk now and looks like it might be a dandy of a bullet to try.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138115 ... -box-of-50

About the only thing that concerns me about using this bullet is the coating. Its probably pretty slick. It could easily wind up slipping in the sabot. I have read some reports from other members having problems with oils and lubes with bullets slipping in the sabots before.

Its probably worth a try. Who wants to take the challenge????

Speer #2482 300gr .458 seem to be priced fairly and are available everywhere and have had some really good reports on the forums. If you can't find what your looking for you might try ordering some of those.

Please report back your findings.

Thanks all, I've got some Lehigh vent liners, orange MMPs, the Nosler 51834, and some speer 2482s on order.. If anyone still has any experience with the 51834 please let me know. I didn't think about the bullet slipping in the sabot so if that's a reality with this bullet that could be bad... Edit: just checked and the 51834 does have a cannelure, I assume that would help to reduce slippage, but maybe not eliminate it? I could also wash the lot..

In reference to the coated Nosler 51834 being used with a sabot (orange MMP), I contacted MMP about said bullet possibly slipping in the sabot and Del's response was.. 'HOGWASH'.. So I'll post accuracy info after I have a chance to test them out. (not slighting the person that brought the subject up, I understand you were only posting something you've heard and properly identified it as questionable)

Gareth96 said:
In reference to the coated Nosler 51834 being used with a sabot (orange MMP), I contacted MMP about said bullet possibly slipping in the sabot and Del's response was.. 'HOGWASH'.. So I'll post accuracy info after I have a chance to test them out. (not slighting the person that brought the subject up, I understand you were only posting something you've heard and properly identified it as questionable)

Del would sure know before any one would know.

My responce was based off of several members over on another board about lubed bullets slipping out of sabots. I kind of wondered about that myself but put it in the back of my brain as one of those things to look out for.

Gareth,
I have an extra 100 of the Remington .457 hollow points if you need them now.
They should be close to the hornady 4500 bullets in size and structure.

Thanks for the offer, but I still have plenty of the XTPs to tie me over till I get all the new stuff I ordered.

Back