Burris FF II 3x9 40mm and 50mm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t/c omega man

Reaction score
Fairly new to ML! Own a t/c omega (great gun)! Looking at scopes and leaning toward one of the four (Nikon Omega 3x9 40mm BDC, Leupold Ultimate Slam 3x9 40mm BDC, Burris FF II 3x9 40mm or 50mm Ballistic plex).

I really like the burris scopes especially the 3x9 50mm, it sucks the light in. Burris say's they will handle the shock of the ML and can be adjusted for close range shooting. I have looked thru all but the ultimate slam. They all look great.

Burris is all USA made and usually less expensive. Is there a reason? I need input from all you ML shooters!! Any pro's or Con's?? Should I be looking at another brand? My buddy, a long time ML shooter, is a Burris NUT so he has a one track mind!!

I shoot a Leupold Ultimate Slam 3x9x40 and like it very much, but all my scopes are Leupolds and USA made. I'm not interested in Asian scopes, but that's me. A lot of people like the Nikons.

And, no I am not some protectionist American zealot. I just like American rifles and scopes. But my favorite pistol is Austrian. My favorite shotguns are Italian, and my favorite fishing reels are Swedish. JMO

I have found that the Leupold US reticle is pretty versatile and I have figured out 100 to 200 yard hold points etc. for a couple different loads in my Omega. Like most scopes with variable power and multiple crosshairs or dots, you can play around and "do what you want." You don't have to shoot the loads and settings that Leupold or Burris or Nikon used to develop their scopes.

The American made Burris scopes are great too. Buy what you like. I will add that I think the 50mm objective thing is way over rated and not worth the added cost over the 40mm objectives. The 40's gather plenty of light for any legal deer hunting. JMO--have fun shopping and pick the scope you like.

I have a Burris FF II on my Knight Disc Elite .50 cal and it has taken many 150 gr charges of Pyrodex, 130 gr charges of Triple Se7en, and now 120 gr charges of BH209 and still keeps chugging along. It's favorite load now is 110 gr of BH209 pushing a 350 gr FPB. So it sees it's share of recoil. I like the ballistic reticle better than Nikon's circles. The glass in the FF II is ok, not great but for the price, its hard to beat.

Paia,
Thanks for the info on the objective lens size! the 50 mm adds $100.00 to the price tag and I was wondering just how much differance it would make.

AJ,
what size burris did you get?

It's the 3-9x40, its the smallest hunting scope I have. It came with a freebie 20x junk spotter.

I have owned only one Burris, so far great scope for the money best deal for your money. i have a 2x7 full field 2 on my muzzle loader. i have dropped it banged it left it in the rain. I would buy another

I bought the 3x9 40mm FFII scope to save $100! The @#%!!*# thing is made in the phillipines. It seems like a great scope but I thought Burris scopes were made in the U S A!! We wonder why we are in tough economic times, 99% of everything we buy is made out of the country!!

SORRY for the rant! the scope is nice but still waiting on the mounts (Burris signature series) and the base. I ordered a T/C one piece steel base because people on other forums had suggested it but it is $60. The Weaver aluminum base for the Omega is $15. Is the steel base that much better?????

I believe that Burris scopes parts are made in the USA but assembled in the Phillipines. They made that move several years ago to keep their prices down which is why Burris are the best scope for the money today.

Burris is all USA made and usually less expensive. Is there a reason? I need input from all you ML shooters!! Any pro's or Con's?? Should I be looking at another brand? My buddy, a long time ML shooter, is a Burris NUT so he has a one track

They might be entirely made in the Phillipines, at one point the parts were shipped out of the USA. Their customer service is horrid. If you want a much better scope made by Burris buy a Pentax.

I have a Burris Fullfield ll B-Plex on my 45 and it has been a pleasant surprise. Very accurate, very durable, adjustment friendly, decent glass and I would definitely buy another. Why? Because it was not a disappointment.

Cob.... Got another? :lol:

Latest posts

Back