Bushnell/Sightron eye relief issues.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big6x6 said:
Patrick... I have four Leupold friction-adjustment scopes, three 3-9X33EFRs and one 2-7X28 RF Special. I actually LIKE the friction-adjustment in some ways. It's one of the few adjustment systems that allows me to adjust with PARTIAL adjustments; ie 1/2 click, 3/4 click, 1&3/4 click, etc. There is also an indicator ring that you can mark were your adjustment is. That way one may see at a glance if the adjustment ever moved. Mine never have and I don't think it has ever been an issue.

The standard 1/4" at 100 yds click adjustments don't seem to be an issue. If your off less than that I doubt any deer could live on the dfifference. :roll: I do have a scope with 1/2" at 100 yds that might have a slight issue, but since it's a pistol scope I doubt it.

Bottom line is you still got yourself a "cheap" scope. :oops:
Bushnell is an investment and the Leupold is just trying to be a snob with overpriced Japanese components.

We really do get attached to our little tin cans and glass, don't we? I prefer to squander my money on food and shelter.

"Buy me something expensive, buy me something crazy, buy me something I REALLY don't need," she cried.

So I signed her up for radiation treatments.

RandyWakeman said:
Bottom line is you still got yourself a "cheap" scope. :oops:
Bushnell is an investment and the Leupold is just trying to be a snob with overpriced Japanese components.

We really do get attached to our little tin cans and glass, don't we? I prefer to squander my money on food and shelter.

"Buy me something expensive, buy me something crazy, buy me something I REALLY don't need," she cried.

So I signed her up for radiation treatments.

Well if the sayin "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply on optics then it's the only one thing that does on Gods green earth! :wall:

Well if the sayin "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply on optics then it's the only one thing that does on Gods green earth!

Although I have not always gotten what I paid for, I sure don't get what I DON'T pay for.

That applies to optics, muzzleloaders, rings/bases, TVs, ad infinitum.

Well if the sayin "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply on optics then it's the only one thing that does on Gods green earth! :wall:

It does not apply to anything automatically. If you choose to pay for piles of old warranty repairs, expensive glossy ad copy, and Jim Schlockey's sponsorship, etc.-- that is what you are paying for. Who do you THINK pays for it?

I suppose there are a few people that still think "Genuine G.M. Parts" are better than what you can get from AutoZone or PepBoys, but I was hoping the dark ages were over-- as in "genuine IBM memory," and "all-beef hot dogs." There are a few people left that believe "Consumer Reports" is just a collection of poetry.

In terms of materials and workmanship, and an antiquated design-- you are overpaying handsomely. A VXIII is the best $200 scope $500 can buy. Anyone's choice.

All my scopes are 24K gold-- the aluminum is applied later, of course-- to protect the delicate gold finish. :roll:

Reference the Sightron Scopes. I just purchased one (before I saw this post of course) it is their inexpensive model. I bought the Sightron I in 3-9x40GL. When I was doing research on the scope I read a review by Randy on the Sightron II I believe it was. Excellent review by the way. I felt it covered all the basis, and actually was an influence in the purchase of this scope. I then read posts from other forums on the Sightron I and all of them felt for the money it was a good scope.

According to Sightron/MidWay USA technical data listings, it has 4.5" eye relief down to 3.4" on 9X. I mounted it on my Knight Wolverine II. I sighted it in at the 50 yard line like they suggested. The next day I took it to the 100 yard station off the bench rest. I used simple B-Square Sport aluminum weaver style mounts. I was more then pleased with the results at the 100 yard station.

240XTPSighron1.jpg

Since the Knight Wolverine likes the 240 grain XTP's I have been using them as my sight in load. So far I am very impressed with the clarity of the scope. I am also pleased with the eye relief. I was shooting at the 100 range on 6X and had no problems what so ever. I have also been playing with the scope at dusk around the house sighting on things in the woods and have to say, I see no problem with the light gathering ability. I guess it will be a matter of time before we see if the durability of the scope is there. I hope I did not make a big mistake in this purchase. I usually go with Bushnell scopes.

Doesn't this come down to durability. Do you think Bushnell, Leupold, sightron etc would release data on Units sold vs warranty claims. We could come up with a pretty solid stat that would indicate durability as a percentage.

For example if Leupold sold 1000 units and 100 came back under warranty and Bushnell sold 1200 units and 110 came back, we would know that Leupold has a 10% failure rate and Bushnell 9%.

Then, all the light transmission, eye relief features etc.. would be moot.
Anyone up for the challenge?

Funny how the "Cheap" Sightron SI has a lifetime replacement warranty..

It is hard to beat that for the price.

Doohan said:
Funny how the "Cheap" Sightron SI has a lifetime replacement warranty..

It is hard to beat that for the price.

I had a Sightron once. First trip it went to the range and the second trip it went to Ebay. :roll:

I had a Sightron once. First trip it went to the range and the second trip it went to Ebay. :roll:

Could I ask what it was that you did not like about the scope that caused you to get rid of it so quickly?

cayuga said:

Could I ask what it was that you did not like about the scope that caused you to get rid of it so quickly?

Eye relief and clarity. :cry:

Eye relief and clarity.

So far I have not found that to be the problem at all with the scope. In fact this is a smooth scope to change powers with. I have other scopes that are very hard to adjust. I was also amazed that the scope was in focus at the 50 yard line and still at the 100 yard line without any adjustment. Some of my other scopes you need to make a minor focus adjustment.

Thanks for the come back. I thought it might have had something to do with the construction or the way it mechanically functions.

Grouse said:
These two manufactures need to wake up and smell the coffee. Sightron and Bushnell cant compete in the eye relief Category. I just dont want to use these scopes with high power rifles. Or hard kicking MuzzleLoaders. :wink:

While the Grouse is grousing about, if you can possibly obtain a ruler or tape measure, you just might be able to measure the eye relief that you are trying to talk about. :roll:

BTW I got my Leupold back on Friday, no charge to rebuild the erector system. Seems I wore it out which doesn't surprise me. I had it about 10 years and had it on 3 rifles and I ran the elevation up and down many many times. So we will see how it works now. Hope to get it back on my rifle and head to the range on Tuesday just to display my poverty in as vulgar a manner as possible.

Rifleman said:
Hope to get it back on my rifle and head to the range on Tuesday just to display my poverty in as vulgar a manner as possible.

Unlikely-- otherwise, you'd be hanging on on the street behind the ice cream shop with the cranially challenged.

Latest posts

Back