Buying a brand new side lock percussion rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what would you buy and why?
Wellllll, this is really easy to answer for me. When it comes to traditional muzzleloaders, My absolute fav by far is the Gibbs. Theres not another ML on the planet that I wouldn't walk right over to get to a Gibbs. Either .45 or .40, I'd be over the moon with either.
My 2nd choice would be an English Rigby Sporter & 3rd choice would be another TC High Plains Sporter.
Why? Thats really easy too, I've never liked traditional muzzleloader stocks at all. I've always loved the nostalgia aspect of the guns though.
I love the modern style sporter stocks on all 3 guns.

Accuracy? Ty Tom
The Gibbs & the Rigby both are world renowned for their accuracy in bench rest competitions.
If I just wanted a utilitarian every day go-to percussion sidelock, the High Plains Sporter would be my choice. I love the stock & the general way the gun handled for a traditional ML.

The Gibbs & the Rigby both are world renowned for their accuracy in bench rest competitions.
If I just wanted a utilitarian every day go-to percussion sidelock, the High Plains Sporter would be my choice. I love the stock & the general way the gun handled for a traditional ML.
Ever seen or heard of a Gibbs carbine?

Ever seen or heard of a Gibbs carbine?
Yes, 1874 laid it out pretty well. Thats not something one would come across every day. I really could kick & cuss myself until the cows come home for not getting at least one of the two cal Gibbs when they were fairly affordable. You can't get them for 1100.00-1200.00 anymore new. I'f I ever got one, I'd deff be sleeping with it for a good while too.

To buy new is the key word, some of those posted are being made by Pedersoli. After my Scout issues i would never consider one. Others mileage may differ. I am building mine, a .40 cal UnderHammer with a 1:24 twist. One with a 1:20 or 1:16 in a .45 would also be a cats meow

I think ive found the inspiration for my next build. @Ninering62 i think you will really appreciate it too.
View attachment 33846

Oh hellz yeah, I love a tactical abomination assault sidelock. Is that a tactical light or a laser sight? I think that both on it would be awesome. Boy oh boy, I can hear the traditionalists' buttcheeks tightening up in their buckskins already & that cracks me right up.
I think a flash suppressor is next on it.

Pendersoli- Traditional Hawken Hunter
With it's 1-24'' twist you can shoot heavy lead or sabots.
Comes with a rear peep sight and a front gold bead.
If I could get my hands on a discontinued Lyman Great Plains Hunter Signature, I would buy one of those as well.

Since you said “brand new,” and if you mean a “factory” gun, I guess that would leave me with an Investarms Gemmer Hawken (in .50 or .54) percussion. A Pedersoli Pennsylvania Dixie Rifle in .45 percussion, a Pedersoli Frontier (or Blue Ridge) in .50 or .54 percussion, and a Pedersoli Kentucky rifle in .32 percussion. If you are considering a kit, I would go with a Kibler. I believe all of the factory guns I mentioned are still being made. Of those I mentioned, I actually have a 1987 Lyman (Investarms) GPR in .50 percussion, a 1998 Pedersoli Pennsylvania Dixie in .45 percussion, and a 2019 Pedersoli Blue Ridge in .54

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. I would like a kit from kibler but as now they do not make a percussion. All though i am on a list for the future… ty

Thank you for all the replies. I would like a kit from kibler but as now they do not make a percussion. All though i am on a list for the future… ty
I thought that there are percussion locks available that will fit a Kibler kit (or that possibly Jim had made some in the past, as well)? I know I have seen Kiblers that had a percussion lock. Rare, but I have seen them. I don’t know if they were aftermarket, or not.

I thought that there are percussion locks available that will fit a Kibler kit (or that possibly Jim had made some in the past, as well)? I know I have seen Kiblers that had a percussion lock. Rare, but I have seen them. I don’t know if they were aftermarket, or not.
I called them and as of now it is a possibility in the future. I put my name on a list for it…ty

Latest posts

Back