Camera Zoom Test (Video)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This little Handy Cam i got for doing Videos has a good Zoom, For a Cheap entry level Camera anyway :yeah:

[youtube]H45ETSPQN6U[/youtube]

Lew, that is pretty amazing. You are really starting to get good with that camera. What size globe sight are your going to use when sighting in on the moon? :lol:

edmehlig said:
Lew, that is pretty amazing. What size globe sight are your going to use when sighting in on the moon? :lol:

I haven’t tried to match a circle up to it yet! :lol:

Cameras are getting insanely good nowadays. Even in the low-budget segment of the market. Cool stuff, Lewis.

Really its a camcorder. Stills are limited to 1920x1080. Normally that is fine and cameras have done higher res for ages. Thats probably along the same quality as 2 megapixel. The video however looks awesome.

For the same price you can get a PowerShot SX530 which is 16 mega pixel and 50x optical/4x digital zoom. Not as much total zoom but you can still shoot 1080 HD video at 30fps. The 60fps does come in handy though for fast action videos. Quality is quite a bit better than 30fps. One feature that is high on my list is macro ability. Being able to take very closeup shots within inches of the object.

CarlHin said:
Cameras are getting insanely good nowadays. Even in the low-budget segment of the market. Cool stuff, Lewis.

They haven’t had much choice but to get better, most of these Smart phones of Today have AWESOME Cameras Which have done away with the need of a regular camera

GM54-120 said:
Really its a camcorder. Stills are limited to 1920x1080. Normally that is fine and cameras have done higher res for ages. Thats probably along the same quality as 2 megapixel. The video however looks awesome.

For the same price you can get a PowerShot SX530 which is 16 mega pixel and 50x optical/4x digital zoom. Not as much total zoom but you can still shoot 1080 HD video at 30fps. The 60fps does come in handy though for fast action videos. Quality is quite a bit better than 30fps. One feature that is high on my list is macro ability. Being able to take very closeup shots within inches of the object.

As much as i have enjoyed this thing so far, I wish i had spent more money on a higher end unit. The one that really had my attention was the Nikon P900, and the newer P1000, My Main Interest was high quality Optical Zoom for Target shooting. I am not much of a Tech wiz guy, This Little Cannon Vixia is really easy to use, But truth is I don’t even know what settings it is on? :lol: I have yet to try a Stil photo. This was a good Camera to “Get my feet wet” with, For the price i paid for this Vixia i am not to concerned about tossing it in the Truck with the rest of my gear and using it. I am fairly confident i can catch hits on my 20” Steel Gong at 500-600 yards, The key is a good solid Tripod which i have. I got an insane good deal on a Bogen Manfrotto Tripod with Pistol Grip head at a Local pawn Shop. The Ole Guy Running the Shop had not Done his homework, and had no idea what he had, iirc i paid 15 bucks for this Tripod

Here is a Stil i just now took (First Stil image I’ve taken) Nothing great, but not horrible either, might be better with good lighting?

Dku4EG3.jpg

It all just depends if HD video is a higher priority than high megapixel still shots. I take way more pictures than i do video. The Vixia probably also has a larger battery. Unless you have a really large monitor anything over 1920x1080 pics are kind of a waste for most people. They are too large to fit the screen. Larger pics do come in handy when you have some good photo editing software because you start with a higher quality image.

Watch a 1080p TV sometime next to a new 4K set. The difference is amazing if the video was recorded in 4K and not upscaled.

GM54-120 said:
It all just depends if HD video is a higher priority than high megapixel still shots. I take way more pictures than i do video. The Vixia probably also has a larger battery. Unless you have a really large monitor anything over 1920x1080 pics are kind of a waste for most people. They are too large to fit the screen. Larger pics do come in handy when you have some good photo editing software because you start with a higher quality image.

Watch a 1080p TV sometime next to a new 4K set. The difference is amazing if the video was recorded in 4K and not upscaled.

GM54, If you were shopping for a Higher end Video Camera for Taking Long Range Shooting Videos, And High Quality Youtube Vids (You see what I am doing) Good stil images would be great, But my main focus is Video. Which Camera would you look in to? You are MUCH more Tech Savvy than myself. My Wife might end up with this Little Vixia and i get something better in the future. Something under 1,000 but up to that price point. Your opinion here is GREATLY appreciated

Look at DSLR video cameras....Why?....because you can swap out the lens later to whatever you need just like on older good 35mm cameras. There are several in the $450-700 price range with the ability to swap the lens.

Something like this is $600 with 2 lenses, extra battery and a memory card at Costco.
https://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3500-DSLR ... 61398.html

The 2 main drawbacks will be battery life and video length vs a digital "camcorder" like what you already have.

GM54, You got me looking at DSLR Cameras now :D I’ve watched some AMAZING videos, and Stil photos taken with them. After some glancing around it’s obvious a guy could spend some SERIOUS bucks in this Arena! The Camera you provided the link to looks good, and isn’t bad priced. I keep trying to find a Zoom Comparison of the 300MM lens vs Say 32X Optical like this little Cannon Handy Cam i have, it seems the 300MM Zoom lens is the more common large Zoom

The link i gave is for a entry level DSLR but that telephoto lens is several hundred bucks by itself. You can buy the 2 lens set directly from Nikon for the same price too. I think the can get the body and a cheaper single lens for around $450-500 and buy a higher end zoom lens instead too.

The deal at Costco though includes more stuff than from Nikon. Both come with the free bag. The Costco bundle includes and additional 2yr warranty on the body, a SD card and a spare battery.

[youtube]wgMaf6xjGOY[/youtube]

GM54, What is your opinion of the Nikon Coolpix P900 stats? It is a ZOOM BEAST for sure, But it’s not a DSLR :( The P900 has an 83X Optical Zoom, which equates to 2,000 MM

Image quality goes to the DSLR Cameras, Zoom is AMAZING with this P900, The P900 is the Camera i was gonna get back when i bought this Cannon Vixia, But i talked myself out of it since I wasn’t sure if i would even like messing with this Video stuff? Now i wish i had bought it. They make a P1000 Now, I just seen a P900 for 448 bucks, The P1000 is a Grand

The Frustrating part is Watching Videos, And reading reviews, Some of the Videos and stil Images are Flat out AMAZING with the P900, And Some don’t look great at all? My guess is Human error? Settings? The DSLR Cameras all look Great, and Take AMAZING stil Images, But lack the Zoom of the P900, A camera like the P900 with an 83X Optical/2,000 MM Zoom needs a Tripod! My guess is a lot of folks doing Vids/Reviews are Not using one? Probably resting on a Rail, etc.

My reasoning for the Dynamic Zoom is Simple, I want to see hits on Target as Clear as possible, as far as possible. I really believe you could see Hits on Paper Targets at 1,000 yards with this Nikon P900, I think?

Anything over a 300mm lens is SUPER DUPER expensive.

One thing i love about Costco is if you dont like you can take it back and the extended warranties are nice too. High zoom must have a tripod or very stable rest. Watch for sales as we get closer to Christmas. One good deal will do more than pay for a Costco membership.

Look into a spotting scope with a cam attachment too. You might find something useful.

Latest posts

Back