Advice about a Remington 700ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielRidlen

Reaction score
New forum member. I recently bought a .50cal Remington 700ml for a pretty good deal at a pawn shop. The goal was to replace my old hand-me-down knight with a good ~200yd muzzleloader. However, after a thorough cleaning and a couple rounds, I'm not sure the gun is a great fit for what I want out of it. I have done a lot of research and seen that I'll need to upgrade the bolt and breech to step up to BH209. Not to mention that the barrel has some pitting from the previous owner. I am having the conversation with myself about whether I want to upgrade the bolt/breech with badger industries or the arrowhead system as well as do a rebarrel to make the rifle closer to what I want. Or would I be better selling it off for what I paid and stepping into something like a used acurra off of the classifieds?

Any of your advice is welcome and thank you in advance.

Pitting on interior? Have you tried polishing it with some Kroil and JB bore paste??

Sounds like you're wanting a newer rifle with modern touches. The 700 was a decent in-line ML in its day but there are "better" options 25 years later. All depends on your wants.

Definitely nothing wrong with doing the upgrades to get it able to seal the breech as well as the ability to use BH209 and 209 primers.

I really don't know much about the knight. I've never really looked at it besides when sitting with it in the woods. It was given to me and had never been cleaned, so the bore is pretty much a pipe.

As far as the modern touches part, I definitely think that may have a bit to do with it. However, when looking at the money that I would have to put into the 700 to get it where I want, I am wondering if I would be better off getting something more modern. Basically, is there a benefit or something I am missing about the 700 that would make it better?

You may want to start shooting the Remington as is. With 209 primers and Blackhorn being difficult to get and all.

You may be surprised how accurate the Knight is even with a rough bore. Many here have reported good accuracy with less than perfect and even very rough bores.

I really don't know much about the knight. I've never really looked at it besides when sitting with it in the woods. It was given to me and had never been cleaned, so the bore is pretty much a pipe.

As far as the modern touches part, I definitely think that may have a bit to do with it. However, when looking at the money that I would have to put into the 700 to get it where I want, I am wondering if I would be better off getting something more modern. Basically, is there a benefit or something I am missing about the 700 that would make it better?
Cannot recall, same mounts for the ML as a standard 700??

If you're a trigger snob and the same trigger works in the ML as a standard 700 then the sky is the limit. If you're shooting other 700s in centerfire you are already super familiar with stock fit and the safety manipulation of the gun.

I have several 700 bolt guns and I don't even think about differences when hunting. They all feel very familiar from one to the next.

Cannot recall, same mounts for the ML as a standard 700??

If you're a trigger snob and the same trigger works in the ML as a standard 700 then the sky is the limit. If you're shooting other 700s in centerfire you are already super familiar with stock fit and the safety manipulation of the gun.

I have several 700 bolt guns and I don't even think about differences when hunting. They all feel very familiar from one to the next.
From what I can tell, it's very similar to other 700s. I think that may be part of the problem is that I'm not used to having a bolt action ml

You may want to start shooting the Remington as is. With 209 primers and Blackhorn being difficult to get and all.

You may be surprised how accurate the Knight is even with a rough bore. Many here have reported good accuracy with less than perfect and even very rough bores.
That's a good point that I hadn't thought about with the primers and powder

Back