Advice about a Remington 700ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New forum member. I recently bought a .50cal Remington 700ml for a pretty good deal at a pawn shop. The goal was to replace my old hand-me-down knight with a good ~200yd muzzleloader. However, after a thorough cleaning and a couple rounds, I'm not sure the gun is a great fit for what I want out of it. I have done a lot of research and seen that I'll need to upgrade the bolt and breech to step up to BH209. Not to mention that the barrel has some pitting from the previous owner. I am having the conversation with myself about whether I want to upgrade the bolt/breech with badger industries or the arrowhead system as well as do a rebarrel to make the rifle closer to what I want. Or would I be better selling it off for what I paid and stepping into something like a used acurra off of the classifieds?

Any of your advice is welcome and thank you in advance.
I have hunted with a Remington 700 ML for 20 years and have killed many deer with it. After a lot of experience and research, I have stayed with the original no. 11 precision cap with weather shield. All of the 209 conversions give me a headache with the pros and cons. I shoot 100 grains of FFFG black powder and use point blank 300 grain sabot. It has a 45 cal bullet and sabot for 50 cal. It is a heavy long bullet that stabilizers quickly. Last week I shot a buck at 100 yds and put it right thru the heart. I only shot 1 bullet this season. I would not trade this gun for anything. My way works, you just have to keep it clean. I hope this helps. It is truly a good gun.

I currently have two 700MLs and had the Badger Ridge conversion put on both of them. I got both of them this year and honestly haven't had the time to play with them enough to find their favorite loads. But know enough about them that they are good shooters.
I suggest you get yourself some KG KG-2 bore polish and smooth out that bore. Even if you don't get it pristine you may be surprised how well it shoots.

I have had 4 700mls. The first one I bought with the sole intentions of going smokeless right off the bat the guy said he hadn't shot it in years thrn his son inlaw told him muzzleloaders didn't hold there value so when he said $50 for it I told him I didn't even need to look at it before buying. The gun was mint inside and out I started with the bolt nose kit and 209 plug with 300gr noslers and orange sabot. The gun shot so well I couldn't justify cutting it up. I shoot left handed after reading all the reviews about the blowback from the bolt the bolt nose is the first upgrade on all of them. The kit will also keep you from having to clean the inside of the bolt and firing pin spring. If you have some 300gr or heavier bullets give them a try you might just be surprised at how well it still shoots. I had been a die hard Encore guy for 15+ years till I got the remington, like someone above posted I liked the ability to adjust/fine tune the trigger on these guns.

Bought my 700 ML the first month they came out. Still shooting it occasionally, but honestly, it's not as much fun as my flinters and traditional sidelocks. It's also harder to clean. Bushnell "Elite" scope took the misses away. Boring to me.

Latest posts

Back