Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated list

CARDI Scorpion...taking a chance with my own seeds. Getting more is being a pain. CARDI dont respond to my emails so they can suck an egg.
Nasty brown Reapers
Aji Oro
Numex Lemon Spice
Couple more jalapenos
Aji Panca
Bonnets
Antep Aci Dolma got both the seeds i wanted now
Joes Long Cayenne....loved these for cayennes
Chilhuacle negro [chee-WAH-lee]...Its a brown spicy bell from Mexico
Aji Amarillo...another must have if you like Peruvian food.
Death Spiral...from Baker Creek aka Rare Seeds.

Possibles
Chilhaulce Rojo.....red variety of the Mexican spicy bell
Golden Greek....its the common pepperoncini you see in jars and pizza joints
Thunder Mountain Longhorn....The guy at one of my favorite Asian restaurants loved them and you cant get them anywhere unless you grow them

Still feel like im forgetting one more?

I wish i had Built a Greenhouse, I know i would Really Enjoy having one. Maybe when our Snow gets gone this Spring i can Get something put together. They Sell some Really nice ones, these outfits that Build and Sell mini Barn, Sheds. They have a REALLY NICE Green House, But it’s like 4 Grand, I’m NOT Doing that!! I need to get me an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill for my Stihl 660 Magnum Falling Saw, Start Sawing my own Lumber and Building my Own Stuff :lewis: I can get a Wood Permit for State Land, And Cut anything Down, or Dead Standing. Just go look around after a Wind Storm and Cut enough to Build a House :)

This year im taking a chance on those Aji Amarillo. They too have a stupid long growing season so they are going in grow bags on the lower deck steps. Plants seem to grow like mad there. In Peru they have a dish called Aji De Gallina. Its like a slighty spicy creamed chicken over potatoes. The pepper is a critical part of the recipe. I can buy the paste and i can get the peppers canned too but fresh will be killer if i can get a bunch in time. They dry well too.

We got one place in town that serves Peruvian cuisine and its crazy expensive. Im hoping i can work something out with them for my extra pods. I still got a bunch of bags of dried Aji Panca. I might go "test the waters" soon and see if they show any interest in locally grow Peruvian peppers. Currently i have the Aji Arnaucho, Aji Panca and Aji Oro rocoto. All are pretty commonly used peppers but not commonly available fresh either. A red rocoto would be authentic but that aint gunna happen next year.

I really need to do more Mini Red Rocotos, Just for Fresh Seed if anything? How long does Seed last If Properly Stored?

This year is gonna be MAINLY Focused on Good Eating Peppers, I’m not gonna do a Bunch of REAL HOT stuff. Mostly Jalas, Several Varieties of them, and ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE These Sugar Rush Peach!! And Aji Oro Rocoto’s

How would you Rate the Aji Oro for Flavor, and Heat, vs the Mini Reds, and Mira Flores Market Rocotos? The Rocotos can leave you Speechless :D It’s not So much the Heat (Though they are HOT!!) It’s the BURST of Juice, it gets the Throat, and You can’t Talk good for Awhile, I know this FIRST HAND :D

Seeds can last for many years.

I still want a large red rocoto that is milder. One large enough to stuff that would not melt your face for rocoto rellenos would be nice. Getting them to produce a ripe pod here has just been a challenge. Aji Oro did very well last year. My two others did also but all the pods were tiny. My Mini Reds looked like jelly beans or berries they were so small.

My aji oro last year were milder and very sweet. Insanely fruity like a mango or peach. So sweet it toned down the heat. No where near as hot. I could slice one open, remove the seeds and munch it all without agony. Some got a little larger than a golf ball at most. They would make a great pepper jelly without needing additional fruit added.

One large enough to stuff that would not melt your face

rolling.gif

I am looking forward to the Aji Oros!! Pepper jelly is a BIG HIT around Here!!

Found a local vendor for jalapeno jelly. It was so good im not gunna bother making any. Its too cheap and the ingredient list was great to its not worth my time to make it.

Kraut day.
3 16oz bags Wally World Slaw mix....they dont carry the Dole
2% canning salt by weight (27 grams)
1 heaping TBS of HOT Korean pepper flakes...These are Korean origin not China grown. Very expensive and much hotter.
1 TBS of juice from the last batch of kraut

Weeping now for 2 hours. Mixing it up every 30min.
2EfHCWN.jpg

UG9ZjdR.jpg

Added 2 7Pot Mad Ballz seedlings from chileplants.com just to round up the order to 6 minimum

So im setting at right around 41-43 pepper plants this year. Plus long beans, gherkins and maybe some more maters. Heading out today for supplies to make a 3ft x 10ft x 10in raised bed. Had a bunch of trees removed last year and that opened up a nice grow spot.

1) 4x CARDI Scorpion
2) 4x Aji Oro
3) 2x Nasty Brown Reapers
4) 2x Numex Lemon Spice
5) Couple more jalapenos 2 Mucho Nacho Seedlings and ???
6) 4x Aji Panca
7) 4x Bonnets
8) 4x Antep Aci Dolma 2 Fords and 2 RFC
9) 2x Joes Long Cayenne
10) 2x Chilhuacle negro [chee-WAH-lee]
11) 4x Aji Amarillo
12) 2x Death Spiral...from Baker Creek aka Rare Seeds.

16) ?x Thunder Mountain Longhorn
35+

Edit: Removed CCN seedlings. Order got messed up somehow and now the plants i wanted are sold out. :(

This is my simple version recipe.

1 can Cream of ,chicken, celery or onion
1 can of no salt added chicken stock. (use the "cream of" can size amount)
1 package Williams chicken chilli mix
Mexican oregano, garlic powder, white pepper and cumin powder to taste
1 can of whatever white beans you like. I used cannellini beans. (DONT DRAIN IT)
About 10-16oz of chicken. I used a 10oz can and 1 roasted leg quarter leftover
1 small yellow onion
1 stalk celery
Handful of frozen corn. I used a white yellow mix.

Tiny can of diced jalapeno or mild green chiles (optional) DONT GET ONES WITH VINEGAR ADDED

Soften the chopped onion and celery with about 2-3 tbs of the fat/oil of your choice
Add the chicken stock and bring up to temp (good simmer)
Add the "Cream of --------_ and whisk it in good
Add seasonings but its gunna need some extra cumin, garlic and oregano in my book
Add the chicken, beans and corn. The starch in the bean liquid should thicken it up nice.

This wont need to cook very long. Its a simple version but be careful not to get it too hot or the beans turn to mush. If your can beans have salt added you probably wont need to salt it either. The canned chicken is also high in salt. If you want to reduce salt even more....Skip the "Cream Of" Use a mix of heavy cream or Half&Half and additional chicken stock but add the cream near the end. I keep heavy cream powder around for stuff like this too. Works great.

Most of the Williams chilli mixes are salt free BTW. Spice level is not bad either. Its got a little heat to it but not much. The Original and Chicken versions are actually pretty good with only minor additions. As long as your canned bean have salt it should be salty enough for most people. If they dont it WILL need salt added.

I normally make this in a double batch so you get some day+ old chilli which i like better.

Mayocoba beans (soaked overnight)
About 3-4 cups pork neck bone stock
Around 2 tbs of my mild homemade bean seasoning
Couple smallish yellow onions
Some celery and red bell flakes....outta fresh and the markets are a zoo
Around 3 links of chorizo seca (sliced and browned)
Couple nice pieces of smoked neck bones (cooked till the meat all fell off the bones)
2cbkC5u.jpg

My new raised bed from the part of the yard i reclaimed last year. Probably gunna put the maters in it. I got some really nice mix for it. Plus about 4x4x4ft of compost cooking in that bin i made. The compost pile probably wont be ready till mid summer?
nTPrWpR.jpg

2ft x 10ft x 10in tall
2JxzfYv.jpg

wHYXjVf.jpg

GREAT hot sauce recipes from Pex Peppers. He got out of the hot sauce biz and was kind enough to post some of his recipes. Taco Fuego was one of my favorites. Hot but mild enough to use for a taco sauce IF you liked spicy.

Attachments

• PexPeppersRecipes.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Got the bed done, at least until i see if it settles from the rain thats on the way. I used 6 bags of Whitney Farms, a 2.2cuft compressed bale of peat and 2 bags of Black Kow. Put half a bag of pine bark on top for now. Added enough lime to offset the pH of the peat and gave it a good shot of fertilizer. Still a couple weeks out before its safe enough to plant.
GZXFNTE.jpg

Lc8rFr9.jpg

This stuff was CHEAP at Costco last month. Ended up looking great too.
tzk65P3.jpg

Latest posts

Back