Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once mine popped and got some true leaves they grew like mad. I need to take a new pic. Close to a foot tall now.

I got Liana long beans under lights now. Took exactly 3 days for the first one to break the surface. 7 of 8 seeds sprouted so far. Only needed 6 at most. I love this variety of yard long bean. Stirfry them with a little seasoned ground pork and some dried peppers. Gotta get the pan hot enough to blister them a little.

Getting big. They have been fed DynaGro Foliage Pro 9-3-6 twice. Other than that just tap water.
Orange spice on the left.....CARDI Scorpions and 1 Aji Oro in the middle....Aji Panca on the right
uKrgpE7.jpg

2P2YMLR.jpg

DSxD3I5.jpg

KimUMn6.jpg

Last edited:
Brought more of the babies up today. The mutant Reapers from Lew are short little studs. Kinda like a dwarf from LotR. They should explode now in real sun.
pYHb1mr.jpg

gv1XsJQ.jpg

4 Aji Amarillo, 2 Death Spiral, 1 NICE Aji Oro and 6 Antep Aci Dolma. Most of these have been in the window for a week or more. Anteps came up last since most annuums dont need as long of a season to produce. Plus it took forever to get the Antep seeds i wanted. What a PITA that was.
H0fJZGO.jpg

y8o6GR4.jpg

ps73bhR.jpg

40JUk3k.jpg

wk2N7T9.jpg

0Zf9yrm.jpg

GM54, i am WAY WAY Behind your Plants! Mine are JUST now getting their first Real Leaves, I am comfortable i have plenty of Time Though, Especially these Jalapeños, Not Sure about the Sugar Rush Peach Though? I SURE Hope they have enough time here, Those couple i sampled of yours were INCREDIBLY GOOD!! This will be a Good Learning year on them here, I will know if i need to Start them earlier in the Future?

SRP were one of my favorites for flavor. Not even close to face melting. I only grow the really hot stuff as a novelty. Just something fun to add but them Scorpions make a killer hot sauce. I was going to grow less and try 7 Pot Primo also but there was a screw up in the order. By the time i realized the order did not go through they were out of the seedlings and too late to grow from seed.

Kinda keeping my fingers crossed that my plant last year didnt cross with anything near by. A Scotch Brain was right beside it. Seeds directly from CARDI are a total pain to get. They barely answer emails and i cant get a price or response from whatever toad runs their Facebook page.

Uhhggg, another rainy cloudy day. No good sun for the brown Reapers. They are WAY behind my others.

This was REALLY good. Homemade turkey meatballs and a creamy pesto sauce for the pasta. The meatballs are soooooo simple to make.
J01JRbl.jpg

Use whatever spice blend you want. I used Tuscan for these because i got some salt free. Critical part IMO is add just the base spice blend 24hrs before combining the rest. I was concerned i should have added more. The long rest in the fridge gave it time to meld. NAILED it first try. You could also make into patties with more Panko on the outside just before frying. Gunna try that soon but they were out of ground turkey. These would be awesome Mexican style in a meatball soup. Just change the spice blend, cheese and swap cilantro for the parsley.

2 lbs 93% lean ground turkey (no salt added)
1 Cup Panko bread crumbs
1 Jumbo egg
1/4 Cup grated real Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 TBS heavy cream
2 Heaping TSP Tuscan Seasoning (MySpiceSage no salt added)
1-2 TBS Dried parsley or 2-4 fresh
1 TSP Aleppo pepper
1 TSP Onion powder
1 TSP Kirkland granulated garlic
White pepper to taste. 1/4 tsp is about what i used.

If you dont have heavy cream, milk is fine or 2 large eggs instead of jumbo.

Combined the ground turkey, Tuscan seasoning and parsley. Set aside in the fridge over night or 24hrs for flavors to meld.

When the ground turkey is well seasoned combine the rest of the ingredients
Make roughly 2-3 TBS sized meatballs
Fry your meatballs in Avocado oil.
HZeDbhF.jpg

Last edited:
Avoiding our specialty markets during "the rona" sucks. I was nearly out of the Aleppo powder i normally get and Amazon wants like 3 times more for the same brand. Aleppo pepper is pretty low heat. You can use it instead of most peppers you would use for stuff like chilli or beans. A little sprinkle on fried eggs is pretty good too. Most of the brands ive tried taste salty. Its part of the curing process some brands use but not this one. Its super low sodium and dont even taste salty. Even my homegrown tasted salty for peppers.

This is $6 a 4oz bag on Amazon. Same brand's Panca powder was excellent so i gave them another shot.
Y19lPB9.jpg

Ao4aGhA.jpg

Welcome to the jungle.

The crew and i still got about 7 upstairs. 3 Aji Amarillo and some spicy bells.
AiNJ0OC.jpg

CCN seedlings....Dont know why i even bother because mine blow them away. 2 Chilhuacle Negro, 1 Chilhuacle Rojo, 2 Aji Panca (just in case mine crossed) and a Habanada. Good thing i got that last one because all the local guys didnt get them yet. Its a ZERO heat habanero and looks just like a orange hab when ripe.
dZaZCKr.jpg

CCN tomato starts were worse. Out of 6 only 2 looked nice. Luckily it was the two i most wanted and cant get locally. Vietnamese Coriander, Rosemary, 1 spicy bell above them and 2 Joes long cayenne below.
axXxTRt.jpg

Lew's poor little mutant Reapers grow soooo slow. 2 of the 3 look nice but man they grow slow.
FnmLQ78.jpg

6 Numex Orange Spice MONSTERS in front and my Aji Panca from seeds i saved. The Numex already got little "podlets" on them too.
hjiCLx8.jpg

2 Baker Creek seeds Death Spiral (man they grow fast), 1 Aji Oro and 1 Aji Amarillo.
wZhbvIB.jpg

4 CARDI Scorpions, 1 Aji Oro and 1 Aji Panca..i think
cnJAzzp.jpg

Bonnie's Spicy Slice jalapeno and Early Flame (both new offerings i think). I planted them a few days ago.
jfG1pbU.jpg

Un14paR.jpg

Planting this weekend for sure
2 maters
Rest of the herbs but 1 might wait on the Vietnamese coriander....its very hard to replace it
1 Aji Amarillo
1 Spicy Bell (Antep Aci Dolma)
2 Joes Long Cayenne
2 Aji Oro...Got one more that is finally taking off under lights i need to bring up too.
1-2 NuMex OS...Thanks again Lewis...Mucho Nacho are no where to be found this year. Bonnie could not get the seeds.

Last edited:
Welcome to the jungle.

AiNJ0OC.jpg

CCN seedlings....Dont know why i even bother because mine blow them away. 2 Chilhuacle Negro, 1 Chilhuacle Rojo, 2 Aji Panca (just in case mine crossed) and a Habanada. Good thing i got that last one because all the local guys didnt get them yet. Its a ZERO heat habanero and looks just like a orange hab when ripe.
dZaZCKr.jpg

CCN tomato starts were worse. Out of 6 only 2 looked nice. Luckily it was the two i most wanted and cant get locally. Vietnamese Coriander, Rosemary, 1 spicy bell above them and 2 Joes long cayenne below.
axXxTRt.jpg

Lew's poor little mutant Reapers grow soooo slow. 2 of the 3 look nice but man they grow slow.
FnmLQ78.jpg

6 Numex Orange Spice MONSTERS in front and my Aji Panca from seeds i saved. The Numex already got little "podlets" on them too.
hjiCLx8.jpg

2 Baker Creek seeds Death Spiral (man they grow fast), 1 Aji Oro and 1 Aji Amarillo.
wZhbvIB.jpg

cnJAzzp.jpg

Bonnie's Spicy Slice jalapeno and Early Flame (both new offerings i think). I planted them a few days ago.
jfG1pbU.jpg

Un14paR.jpg

2 maters
Rest of the herbs but 1 might wait on the Vietnamese coriander....its very hard to replace it
1 Aji Amarillo
2 Joes Long Cayenne
2 Aji Oro...Got one more that is finally taking off under lights i need to bring up too.
1-2 NuMex OS...Thanks again Lewis...Mucho Nacho are no where to be found this year. Bonnie could not get the seeds.

WOW!!! Your Plants are ROCKING GM54 :lewis:

Rain dodged us today...well sofar anyway.

Redneck shade cloths ENGAGED. The stress of waiting to plant out was killing me soooooo.

3 Aji Oro in their fabric pots. Man i hope i get a good yield like last year. One is still just a baby
oBkTRpd.jpg

xCGIkZx.jpg

4 Aji Amarillo on the steps under the burlap
5HcNYbf.jpg

Back row---1 Chilhuacle Negro, 1 NuMex Orange Spice, 1 CCN Aji Panca, 1 Chilhuacle Rojo and a Death Spiral. A few others that need more time to harden. I cant shade them easily in their final pots yet.
nHxajo9.jpg

If you like kraut and like spicy, you MUST try this. Best darn kraut in a jar i ever tasted. VERY crunchy and some solid zip to it. You can also get it raw in bags if you want the probiotics. They had it on sale for $2 but its still pretty reasonable at regular price too.
042b3dce-191b-40ec-a51b-09fd835e23c8_1.2d1458afab1b5a8e6bf17ddde3176765.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the jungle.

AiNJ0OC.jpg

dZaZCKr.jpg

axXxTRt.jpg

FnmLQ78.jpg

hjiCLx8.jpg

wZhbvIB.jpg

cnJAzzp.jpg

jfG1pbU.jpg

Un14paR.jpg

2 maters
1 Aji Amarillo
2 Joes Long Cayenne

GM54-120,
Are you planting in the ground, in beds, or in raised beds?

I found that the more decomposed leaves, hardwood (except black walnut) especially, that I dug into my 23" deep, above ground beds; the healthier my soil remained, year-to-year. And, it got richer, as the years progressed. My theory was that the stored sugars in the leaves supported all kinds of microbial life in the soil, in one fashion, or another. This led to such healthy soil that I had few issues with diseases, and my yields per plant were usually far greater than the seed package estimates.

They look good GM54 :lewis:

All of my Stuff Went outside Just Yesterday, In my Hoop House. This way I can Lower it at Night in Case we get a Slight Frost, A Frost isn’t Real Likely but it DEFINITELY Can do it here. I Can Vent the Hoop House By Simply Lifting it, And Placing Blocks i made Under the Corners.

My Peppers look GOOD, And i ended up with a Few more than I thought i was Gonna :)

Now to get Started Building my “Stump Garden” Today is probably gonna be that Day. I am in for a Bit of a Workout on this Little Project

Mid 30s tonite and after that i should be safe for the rest. I got a BIG ole hollar stump i planted herbs in this year. Rosemary and some basil.

Are you planting in the ground, in beds, or in raised beds?

I found that the more decomposed leaves, hardwood (except black walnut) especially, that I dug into my 23" deep, above ground beds; the healthier my soil remained, year-to-year. And, it got richer, as the years progressed. My theory was that the stored sugars in the leaves supported all kinds of microbial life in the soil, in one fashion, or another. This led to such healthy soil that I had few issues with diseases, and my yields per plant were usually far greater than the seed package estimates.

I plant in pots, fabric pots (personal favorite) and raised beds. Ive got 1 small 9ftx6ft ground plot devoted to jalapeno. I have a 4ftx4ftx4ft bin full of compost. Mostly leaves and kitchen waste.

You have to be cautious adding organic material to dirt. It must be composted already or it sucks nitrogen up like a sponge. I dont use hard wood at all. Use aged pine bark fines. You can add stuff like that anytime you want but give it plenty of time to break down before you plant anything in it.

A great semi cheap organic matter is alfalfa meal. A 50lb bag at my farm and feed store was like $15 and change. Leftovers go in the compost pile after the season ends. ATM im trying to find a good local source for rabbit poo. NOTHING beats rabbit poo for safe, "adding anytime" poo. No need to compost like most other poo. :D

I live right across the street from one of the best poo factories in the whole USA. They got everything from rabbit to bison to lama to elephant. They just dont separate it and they wont sell it to me. :( They got poo piles composted larger than tandem axle dump trucks. :mad:

Mid 30s tonite and after that i should be safe for the rest. I got a BIG ole hollar stump i planted herbs in this year. Rosemary and some basil.

I plant in pots, fabric pots (personal favorite) and raised beds. Ive got 1 small 9ftx6ft ground plot devoted to jalapeno. I have a 4ftx4ftx4ft bin full of compost. Mostly leaves and kitchen waste.

You have to be cautious adding organic material to dirt. It must be composted already or it sucks nitrogen up like a sponge. I dont use hard wood at all. Use aged pine bark fines. You can add stuff like that anytime you want but give it plenty of time to break down before you plant anything in it.

A great semi cheap organic matter is alfalfa meal. A 50lb bag at my farm and feed store was like $15 and change. Leftovers go in the compost pile after the season ends. ATM im trying to find a good local source for rabbit poo. NOTHING beats rabbit poo for safe, "adding anytime" poo. No need to compost like most other poo. :D

I live right across the street from one of the best poo factories in the whole USA. They got everything from rabbit to bison to lama to elephant. They just dont separate it and they wont sell it to me. :( They got poo piles composted larger than tandem axle dump trucks. :mad:
Hows the smell on a hot windless summer day? I drive by a stockyard a few times a year and in the summer i take a detour to avoid it like the plague.

My Dad called that smell "brown sugar" !!! LOL !!! He was a big fan of hog poo . We also used ALOT of walleye guts(fish) being he ran charters on the Great Lakes . Stuff grew like wildfire !!! We grew nightcrawlers too in coolers in the ground . Potato peels and coffee grounds with maple leaves grew Monster Worms . Our yard was Loaded with them !!! Worm castings galore !!! Robins would be there in huge flocks !!!

Last edited:
When I bring fish home for a meal I freeze he carcasses just until they are sort of stiff, then cut them in chunks and run he chunks thru my power meat grinder with a medium head on it. I put the ground fish is zip locks and freeze hard. When I am ready to plant tomatoes and peppers, I pull the bags and thaw them and get them to room temperature. I dig the holes for the potted veggies with a post hole digger. Then I go back and start adding a cup of the fish to each hole, add some dirt back then plant and water. By the time the roots hit the fish pocket the stuff has pretty much become part of the dirt but those plants grow like wild fire once they make contact with that enriched soil.

When I bring fish home for a meal I freeze he carcasses just until they are sort of stiff, then cut them in chunks and run he chunks thru my power meat grinder with a medium head on it. I put the ground fish is zip locks and freeze hard. When I am ready to plant tomatoes and peppers, I pull the bags and thaw them and get them to room temperature. I dig the holes for the potted veggies with a post hole digger. Then I go back and start adding a cup of the fish to each hole, add some dirt back then plant and water. By the time the roots hit the fish pocket the stuff has pretty much become part of the dirt but those plants grow like wild fire once they make contact with that enriched soil.

Funny you mention this Tom, i just got done doing this, I had a Bag Full of Bass & Crappie Carcasses Given to me, i had even Bought a Cheap Hand Crank Meat Grinder several years ago that i had Planned to Designate on an Old Stump Etc. Just for Grinding Fish Carcasses, Skins, Guts Through it for Enriching My Pots. BY FAR The Best Tomato Plants i have ever Raised grew Through Rotting Fish Pulp :)

One downside is Critters can Dig, But the Neighborhood Around here knows to Keep their Cats Home, If They Come here and Crap in my Garden, Etc. They only do it that 1 Time. I am WELL Known here for it :)

All fish waste we got went in the garden. Even old stuff from the freezer when i was a kid. It is one of the best fertilizers on the planet. One year when i was around 15, pops had a farmer friend deliver about a ton of pig poo. We composted it all fall and winter with yard waste. It had steam rising from it like a volcano. Our garden then was around 60ftx14ft. The compost pile was in the center. The neighbors were not too fond of that pile of poo. A few weeks before planting that whole pile got tilled into the garden.

If you want your compost pile to REALLY cook, add some high nitrogen poo like pig or poultry. Any natural nitrogen source works. Chemical fertilizer based sources you have to be careful of phosphorus and sulphur. Too much of either will kill the bacteria. Milorganite is safe but i dont use it for veggie/food. Its fine for compost for your flower beds.

And no the massive poo piles across the street are fine. I cant smell them from home. Well mostly. Occasionally you can smell "bison" and the exotic cattle under perfect conditions. I normally only smell it when we got 50 plus roaming right across the street so im probably smelling the freshly dumped loads :D As a old Nebraska farm boy i know EXACTLY what that smell is. Been near stock yards and cattle often. Gramps ran a artificial insemination side business for years.

All fish waste we got went in the garden. Even old stuff from the freezer when i was a kid. It is one of the best fertilizers on the planet. One year when i was around 15, pops had a farmer friend deliver about a ton of pig poo. We composted it all fall and winter with yard waste. It had steam rising from it like a volcano. Our garden then was around 60ftx14ft. The compost pile was in the center. The neighbors were not too fond of that pile of poo. A few weeks before planting that whole pile got tilled into the garden.

If you want your compost pile to REALLY cook, add some high nitrogen poo like pig or poultry. Any natural nitrogen source works. Chemical fertilizer based sources you have to be careful of phosphorus and sulphur. Too much of either will kill the bacteria. Milorganite is safe but i dont use it for veggie/food. Its fine for compost for your flower beds.

And no the massive poo piles across the street are fine. I cant smell them from home. Well mostly. Occasionally you can smell "bison" and the exotic cattle under perfect conditions. I normally only smell it when we got 50 plus roaming right across the street so im probably smelling the freshly dumped loads :D As a old Nebraska farm boy i know EXACTLY what that smell is. Been near stock yards and cattle often. Gramps ran a artificial insemination side business for years.

Good Post GM54, Lots of good info! You had me LAUGHING several times (Neighbors not to Fond, And the Freshly Dumped Loads Got me! :roll:)

Back