Capper/De-capper for Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig

Reaction score
Curious if anyone uses a capper tool for their Knight Mountaineer or Ultralight. I have small hands and still have a heck of a time getting the primer into the pocket, and more so getting it OUT without tipping the gun and tapping it/using a screwdriver. I just bought a tool made by Traditions that looked like it would work but come to find out its too big and wont fit inside.

Thanks!

I just turn gun on its side and drop in 209, just turn it over the opposite way and dump 209 in my hand when taking out.. would think a capper would be harder to use..Ive found when putting in I hold the powder end of primer and stick other end in 1st press against edge of adapter and let fall into bolt if that makes sense, if I try to hold both ends of primer and set in I end up dropping or missing slot.

I use one on my wmc and mk85.
View attachment 6622
Not for 209s tho.
I use the same capper for my Whites. For 209 primers I use a T/C "dog bone" capper works great!
To decap I use this:https://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Performance-Firearms-Muzzleloader-Depriming/dp/B001DB9APQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=10NYU0N5LRP4D&dchild=1&keywords=cva+capper+and+decapper+tool+#+209+primer+steel&qid=1576347431&sprefix=cva+decap,aps,183&sr=8-1 Mine is made by CVA, but you get the idea. The small end will take off a #11 cap. The forked end a 209.

I to have trouble with the caps. if you compare cappers you may fine one that is better for you. I chose a single shorter capper and I helps some. then I switched to larger caps like the 209 and it was way better.

Knight has a little plastic capper made just for the bare primer bolt. It holds the primer by the nose. Its small enough it fits in the bolt. I cant find it forsale anywhere but Knight atm and the shipping would make it super expensive for a little piece of plastic.

I would wager you can make something similar from a piece of rubber tubing or a toothbrush handle in a few minutes. Get a piece of 1/4" ID tubing. Put a piece of a wire coat hanger in it but leave one end with about 1/2" long of just tubing.

Bend the hanger wire IN the tube to a 90 angle. Now you will have what looks like a allen wrench. You could even use a small allen wrench with the tubing slid over it. Put a primer in the short tube end you just made. That might be small enough to slip in the bolt body.

Sort of like this but the short end cant be over .4" long (including the primer) to fit in the breach. I dont have any tubing the right ID to fit atm but this gives you an idea.
oIfBeDF.jpg

6mm 12pt box end wrench works well just have to grind o.d. of box end wrench down so it will go in bolt head shroud

Latest posts

Back