Carbon build up in the Prohunter breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rks1949

Reaction score
I just noticed that the primer end of my breech plug flash channel was getting smaller. I had allways run a nipple pick through it,but haden't payed much attention to the size of the flash channel size. It was almost closed off by a Hard carbon build up! :shock: I used a 7/64 or (0.1094) drill bit to open it up. I had the same problem with my Savage,but just didnt think about it in the Prohunter. :roll: It is primer residue from the 209 primers,and it is hard stuff. Mine was working ok,but I'm sure I was heading for ignition problems down the road if I haden't caught it in time. I found a drill bit from a printer Ink refill kit that is the perfect size,also 7/64. I now keep it in the box with the rest of my cleaning tools. On a side note: I also checked my wife's Knight,it also had a hard carbon build up in it's breech plug. I guess if ya use 209's you need to check for this build up. Ron
Drillbit.jpg

Yep, but the actual size of the bit should be 1/8". You still have some build up in there!

I'll have to check it out! :D Wonder why T/C dosen't mention anything about this in the manual? :?

rks1949 said:
I'll have to check it out! :D Wonder why T/C dosen't mention anything about this in the manual? :?

Good question! PROBABLY because they had rather sell you a breech plug! But you know...no other maker does either!

big6x6 said:
rks1949 said:

Good question! PROBABLY because they had rather sell you a breech plug! But you know...no other maker does either!
I think any plug that uses a 209 will suffer from this buildup.

Yeah,Chuck. I knew that my Savage had this problem,but didn't even think to check my B/P guns. I will from now on! :) Ron

omega,thanks for the tip! :D There was still some carbon in there when I used the 1/8 inch bit. Ron

Back