Casto Armory longrifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

451 whitworth

Reaction score
I also posted this in the inline section. I found some videos on Youtube about castoarmory.com and their Longrifle hybrid. They make these fullstock Longrifles for bullet shooting. I've never heard of them before.

He says something like he can get more fps from his long barrel side lock than you can get from an inline. Ok, whats a 54cal round ball weigh....about 230gr? 120gr of Goex is good for about 1950fps in a "long rifle" right? That ball will be down to about 1200fps at 100 yards.

The 36 inch barrel delivers velocities much higher than that of modern day in-line with their short barrels. The long rifle's accuracy is superb, on par with any centerfire

Well im here to tell ya i can hit 2100fps no problem with a inline 28", Triple7 and a 225gr bullet that will carry its energy further than a 54cal round ball will.

He says he had problems with pellets and 209s being undependable and has never seen a sidelock fail to fire....Seriously? I guess so if he could not get the Knight to fire in his video. :lol:

His rifles look nice but im having a had time seeing $1800 in them. Almost $2000 for double trigger and plain Jane walnut. The inline he is selling for $1600 looks like its using a $190 Pete Allen action. He wants a buck a pop for Mini Balls and claims a 58cal 420gr Mini has a .206 BC at over 1700fps with 120gr of T7....It feels like a snake oil salesman.

GM54-120 said:
He says something like he can get more fps from his long barrel side lock than you can get from an inline. Ok, whats a 54cal round ball weigh....about 230gr? 120gr of Goex is good for about 1950fps in a "long rifle" right? That ball will be down to about 1200fps at 100 yards.

The 36 inch barrel delivers velocities much higher than that of modern day in-line with their short barrels. The long rifle's accuracy is superb, on par with any centerfire

Well im here to tell ya i can hit 2100fps no problem with a inline 28", Triple7 and a 225gr bullet that will carry its energy further than a 54cal round ball will.

He says he had problems with pellets and 209s being undependable and has never seen a sidelock fail to fire....Seriously? I guess so if he could not get the Knight to fire in his video. :lol:

His rifles look nice but im having a had time seeing $1800 in them. Almost $2000 for double trigger and plain Jane walnut. The inline he is selling for $1600 looks like its using a $190 Pete Allen action. He wants a buck a pop for Mini Balls and claims a 58cal 420gr Mini has a .206 BC at over 1700fps with 120gr of T7....It feels like a snake oil salesman.

In my Lyman Blackpowder Loading Manual it gives Data for a 1-60 Twist 32” Barreled .54 Cal, .535 Ball That weighs 230 Grains. The Fastest velocity obtained out of 8 different Loads is 1,842 FPS, that was with 120 Grains of Pyrodex Select, at 100 Yards it has Slowed down to 1,110 FPS with 629 Ft lbs of Energy

I wish Lyman would publish an updated Black Powder manual (3rd edition). None of those loads in the book use T7, Swiss, OE, or Blackhorn. Red can Goex and Pyrodex can't come close to the power of Swiss/T7. As far as the rifles go I too want more spec's. The thing that made me raise an eyebrow was the speed they were driving that .58 minie and claiming accuracy. In my experience minie skirts have to be thick like the Lyman 575611 or 542622 to handle any charge over 80gr. Then there is the alloy of the bullet. For me pure lead comes up short on accuracy once velocity levels rise above 1300 fps.

admiral said:
I wish Lyman would publish an updated Black Powder manual (3rd edition). None of those loads in the book use T7, Swiss, OE, or Blackhorn. Red can Goex and Pyrodex can't come close to the power of Swiss/T7. As far as the rifles go I too want more spec's. The thing that made me raise an eyebrow was the speed they were driving that .58 minie and claiming accuracy. In my experience minie skirts have to be thick like the Lyman 575611 or 542622 to handle any charge over 80gr. Then there is the alloy of the bullet. For me pure lead comes up short on accuracy once velocity levels rise above 1300 fps.

That is what struck me as very odd. Those kinds of loads got to be hell on a Minie. All the data ive ever seen says to be careful about using too much powder with Minies or hollow base lead ML bullets. Plus that is just crazy fast for a soft lead projectile.

The speed has me curious, not that i would try and work up a load like this. But i do believe i could get my 300 Grain Lyman 457191 (292 Grain to be exact) in my .45 Cals to REALLY Get with it! I have not tested it, But i think 110-120 Grains of Swiss 2F would REALLY make them Sing along! I Vaguely Remember Some Chrono Work back when i first got Started in this stuff, At that time I was shooting Ron’s Pioneered RCBS 11MM Bullet at 1500 Something FPS with 85 Grains of Swiss 2F iirc? I know for sure my Old Stainless GM LRH 50 Cal would Push a 450 Grain PP bullet right at 1500 FPS with 95 Grains of Swiss 2F, That was my Load in that Barrel, Ron called that one “Hauling the Mail”. I’m just not sure what a 300 Grain Bullet would Do with 120 Grains of Swiss Powder? Fry through the OP Wad and Melt the Bullet Base off probably :lol:

Truth is i don’t do enough Chronograph Work to stay up to Date with everything i do, I have the mind set to shoot for accuracy and care less about where the Velocity falls. I have a pretty Darn Good idea what my Stuff is doing from my past Chrono Work in my Beginning with this Stuff, But I Cannot give Exact numbers. I really need to break down and Buy a Really Nice Chronograph like 52bore’s Labradar, i know i would enjoy using it. And it would be nice to know for sure what each load is Actually doing? The Labradar would be my Best Bet, The Majority of my Shooting is at very First light, regular “Eye” Sensor Type Chronograph’s Don’t play well in that Kind of lighting! I have taken my Chronograph a Few times, Only to get “Error” after “Error” After Going Through the Extra Trouble Setting it up, This further aids in helping me make the Decision to leave it at home

Back