Casual Target Bullet Recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Ed

Reaction score
Hi Forum

I'm a newbie to muzzle loading but have plenty of experience with weapons platforms and shooting from my military career. Given the plethora of muzzle loading bullets on the market and their sometimes very high pricing, I have questions for casual target shooting at 100 and 200 yards.

Information to consider-

I'll be using using a CVA Accura MR .50 caliber with a 25 inch barrel and 1-28 twist that I'll soon be purchasing. CVA says their bores are .500 and their tolerances are from .499 to .508. They 'recommend' to use .501 diameter bullets but that a .502 will safely work but be a little tight. They recommended not to go bigger than .503. My propellant of choice is Blackhorn 209 where I can 'tune' my load eventually. Velocity will probably be falling into the 1600-1900 FPS range.

Questions-

1. Can I use Mastercast (PA alloy bullet supplier) 330 grain .501 dia. RNFP with a brinnell hardness of 18 for casual target practice? Prices are roughly $45 for a 250 round box. Or any other properly sized lead alloy or copper plated bullet (Oregon Trail, Rainer, etc.) or will my velocity shred these things?

2. What is the best BC, most cost efficient target bullet out there?

3. Alloy lead versus pure lead, copper plated versus copper jacketed?

4. Copper plated (like Rainer) or copper belted (like Powerbelt) Big difference in price...

5.Flat, bevel, or concave bottom bullets?

6. When do you patch? Or is that only for round ball which really doesn't apply here...

Any and all recommendations/opinions/comments regarding casual target shooting out to 200 yards that is cost efficient yet effective, are most welcome!

R/

Mr. Ed
Asheville NC

100 gr load blackhorn and Barnes290 tez and clean with Hoppes9

If your shooting a .500-.502 bullet in a 50 cal, you will not have any room for a patch. These are full bore bullets. You will probably need a good sealing wad behind the bullet.
Don't see why you can't try the PA bullets..
If you want to shoot sabots, you'll need bullets in the .450-.452 diameter range.

For me, flat base bullets benefit from a wad. Cavity base are better without one.

Bullet fit will effect your accuracy. Might be good to try to measure your actual bore size, it might make things go along faster. (Can't believe their bores might vary that much!)

BC and MV have little to do with accuracy, don't worry too much about that, especially if your limited to 200. Every gun is different and finding what it likes is part of the fun/challenge.

The most cost effective shooting will be black powder and lead bullets.
bestill gave you a suggestion with Blackhorn209, as I have no experience with it.

Just to note, my guess is CVA likely recommends full bore bullet sizes because their parent company also markets PowerBelts, a full bore bullet, which, regardless of peoples' opinions of them, are not very cost effective. At least a buck a bullet.

Some of the cheapest bullets out there that are easy to obtain are the Hornady XTPs. Less than $30 for a 100ct box. Pick up some sabots to fit your rifle and you are good to go.

A cva accura mr will shoot many bullet combinations and powders.
It comes down to how much you like to shoot and tinker with load development.

The simplest load that will group and effective hunting load would be 100 gr blackhorn , 290 Barnes tez and federal209A primer. Load and shoot.
For economy shooting 80 gr blackhorn,250 hornady xtp .452 with mmp hph-24 sabot and federal209A primer.
Could substitute xtp for 250 hornady sst which midwayusa has blems very cheap.

There is without question many other load combinations but every cva accura ive touched will shoot above loads without much tinkering.
Fyi powder adjustments will tighten groups

Back