Charge Burn Length in Short Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hurried home from work to shoot my Encore MZ Pistol tonight right at dusk to test the zero in preparation for tomorrow's hunt. Normally shoot 50 grains BM3 with a 250 grain SW. Tried to move up to 90 grains BH209 and it shot ok but it was a roman candle. Tons of muzzle flash. Then I moved to 80 grains, same issue. I switched back to 50 grains BM3 and the thing shoots better than I can. This got me thinking. Does anyone know the length of barrel necessary to fully burn a charge? With 80-90 grains, am I wasting powder out the end of the barrel?

Due to not wanting to reset zero, I'll stick to the 50 grains by volume BM3 and the 250 grain SW until I can get some real time to tune it in. Anyone have any guesses as to velocity of this load? I won't shoot much further than 50 yards with this. Tried the 200 grain shockwave but keyholed the projectile a bunch.

Built this from a rusted 209X50 muzzleloader barrel that I got taken on through Ebay and hoping to christen it tomorrow. Looks pretty good for a homemade project.

DSCF6561.jpg

IMO, Stick with 50grains, that's all a short barrel like that can burn effectively.

You might try the Buffalo Bullets 245g BALL-ET, or a 245g powerbelt. Cause I don't think that Shockwaves will expand at those low speeds....

Nice project, it looks like mine:

EncoreML.jpg

I did the same thing. I bought a rifle barrel on line and took the hacksaw to it, chucked it in the lathe and gave it a nice target crown.

Anyhoo, I had decent success with 80 gr of 3f Triple Se7en and a 250 gr bullet. It did kick a bit but I had it for my close range hunting of whitetails (sub 100 yards) so it did the trick. I am sure it may be more efficient with a lesser charge, but I was in a hurry and did not play a lot with different loads.

AJ, Can you show me what you did to the end of that powerod. These are tough critters to load and it would be nice to have the T handle on the end. Also, I like how it gets out of the way of the muzzle.

Lane, I've got some PR Bullets, maybe pure lead would be better at these speeds?

I think its like 24" is the barrel length needed to burn up to 100gr of propellent.

I want to say I read that in BACKWOODS MAGAZINE or DIXIES BPJ.

Not gospel, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jerry

Lane, you scared me right out of hunting this morning and I used the time to work up another load. 70 grains of BM3 and a 240 grain dead center was shooting dead on at 50. With the all lead bullet and lighter charge, I feel better about the likelihood of good expansion. Tomorrow morning will see the dawning of a new breed of pistol hunter! I think I'll use the stage name Larry Shockey when all those sponsors put me on the Outdoor Channel. I promise I'll take all my MM buddies on those exotic hunts when we begin taping the show!

Latest posts

Back