Check Your Muzzleloader Before Loading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If i load a Rifle and end up not shooting it that Day I will place a little Note between the Ramrod and RR Retention Clip that says LOADED!! When you have as many of these ML’s as i do, and tinkering with them as much as i do a Guy can easily forget. I personally do not Mark Ramrods since i Swap Barrels from different Stocks on a Regular Basis, I don’t need to Mark a Rod to see that a Rifle is loaded, I can stil check with a Ramrod and see if a Rifle is loaded or not By where it stops

This seems appropriate…

“ Don't meddle with old unloaded firearms. They are the most deadly and unerring things that have ever been created by man. You don't have to take any pains at all with them; you don't have to have a rest, you don't have to have any sights on the gun, you don't have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his mother every time at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old rusty muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it makes me shudder.”

Mark Twain - Advice to Youth speech, 4/15/1882

Back