Checking in from Kalifornia

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Optima, and I hope gathered all the needed goodies to start this new endeavor. Thank you for letting me be here.
I'm reading many of the posts on here, and I hope, am learning a lot.
My FT partner has been shooting BP for years and with this Covid thing going around I figure I have plenty of time on my hands to try a new sport. And maybe try a BP hunt next year unless the bunny huggers here decide to close the seasons.

Welcome to the forum!

Here is what I shoot in my Optima:

100 grains (70 weighed) BH-209
Hornady 44 cal (.430) 300 grain XTP
Green crushed ribbed sabot
Winchester 209 (Blue Box)

For now, I'll be breaking the gun in with White hots, .490 ball, and Hornady SST
When I get serious around August I'll switch to BH 209 and T-EZ if they shoot good.
I'll use Fed 209 with BH as I have a brick or so I use for scattergun reloading. I will be using overpriced 777 primers for the White hots as there are NO 209 primers to be found locally, though I think BPI had some non-magnum Fiocchis available a week or so ago. And I really don't want to pay the hazmat charge just for a brick of primers

Welcome Caniborrowsomeammo! Great name 😎. Let us know how you shoot those RBs and how they perform.
ps: bunny hugger means sumthin totally dif to me :roll:

Thanks for the warm welcomes.
I don't expect much out of the RB accuracy wise, it will just be cheap trigger time.
We can't hunt with lead here in this state so with the RB I'll get a jist of what it will do with MOA of paper plate. As no restriction of lead for targets, yet.

Back