Choosing a Replacement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeHunter41

Reaction score
I know that there have been countless discussions on good muzzleloaders. I am looking at retiring my traditions pursuit lt next year and want to begin the process of where to go next. Not looking at anything smokeless or that has a range over 1000 yds. Longest possible shot is close to 100, with most being around 50 to 70 yds. Will be using it to hunt whitetail deer in VA for 2 hard weeks out of a ladder stand. Looking for something that is accurate, dependable, groups well, will be able to last, good customer service, and is not a pain to maintain. I will be putting a scope on it, but for now just the gun. Unless I come across a good deal.

Thanks for all the advise as I know that everyone here has experience that is not found on websites or in the stores.

With those specs - think about Knight 52cal - maybe they’ll put it in a UL stock?
With its fast twist, mine shoots big heavy conicals (500+gr) very well over 75grV BP or BH209. W/red plastic jacket.
Also, took a frontal shot on a doe at 218yd, exit hole shown.
7C8A2734-9FE5-4B7C-8943-25441A3BAF22.jpeg

Attachments

• 9BD14F5B-86CA-4E21-A68E-329B2C44E0F6.jpeg
    9BD14F5B-86CA-4E21-A68E-329B2C44E0F6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Many good rifles could fit that criteria so I’ll let others suggest those. But with 100 yards being your max and most shots shortish have you given any thought to a CVA Optima V2 Pistol?

Last edited:
Been sitting in a stand since Saturday with my Knight Ultra-Lite. I haven't killed anything yet, but it sure feels nice. Depending on what powder you want to shoot, any of the old Knights would be great. Most of my deer fell to an old Knight Wolverine, then an MK-85. The Ultra-Lite is my latest addition.

Never thought a pistol. Thanks. Had a Knight long time ago before 209 was a thing. Good rifle believe it was one of those kits that came with everything. Will definitely look in to them.

I would buy the Knight Disc Elite 50 cal. for sale in the classifieds. I have a 45 cal. Elite and it's a shooter, the 50 cal. also gets great reviews.

:cool:I was reading some emails before I hit the post button, snapbang beat me too it! You don't know how hard it is for me not to buy that muzzleloader. It would pair up beautifully with my .45 Elite.

Inexpensive but will shoot a variety of loads. This is my CVA Kodiak Pro with a 29 inch SS Barrel.

Attachments

• CopyofPICT0070.jpg
    CopyofPICT0070.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221108_205732_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
    IMG_20221108_205732_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
For your situation there are a lot of guns. A $200 Traditions break action to a $1000+ custom will work.
What is your budget? It sounds like you want to go new for the customer service. Do you have a preferred action? Bolt, Break, drop action? Do you shoot loose powder or pellets? Any specific rules/regulation for your local hunting area? Do you shoot muzzleloaders for fun in the off season?

IMHO, consider a less expensive gun and buy two of the same gun. Set one up with open sights for rainy days and the other scoped for sunny days. With two, you will have a backup gun ready to go if you have an issue during season.

If you use a scope - CVA™ Optima V2 Nitride - PR2023NM
PR2023NM-cva-Optima-V2-muzzleloader-rifle-Nitride-realtree-Edge-50-cal_2400x800.jpg
If you don't - CVA™ Optima V2 Nitride - Open Sights - PR2023N
PR2023N-cva-Optima-V2-muzzleloader-rifle-Nitride-realtree-Edge-nitride-50-cal-sights_1918x640.jpg
and get a BH209 breech plug if you wan to shoot Blackhorn.

For your situation there are a lot of guns. A $200 Traditions break action to a $1000+ custom will work.
What is your budget? It sounds like you want to go new for the customer service. Do you have a preferred action? Bolt, Break, drop action? Do you shoot loose powder or pellets? Any specific rules/regulation for your local hunting area? Do you shoot muzzleloaders for fun in the off season?

IMHO, consider a less expensive gun and buy two of the same gun. Set one up with open sights for rainy days and the other scoped for sunny days. With two, you will have a backup gun ready to go if you have an issue during season.
Good points. An expensive MLer will not make one a better shooter. I've seen guys shoot great groups with cheap, used inlines. Just grind it out on the range and work up a load.

Back