Choosing a Replacement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As all of the above have said many choices. I’ve had CVA and in a 50 they’re great. This year I used a Knight Wolverine and I may stick with them . I had to switch to fffg Triple 7 due to supply and COST issues so I like the Dyna coating especially for the Delaware October muzzleloader in which it can and did get humid .

Still a classic Knight Elite available for sale :)

What are the odds of ever finding one of those unfired????
Yes, pretty rare. If I didn't have one, I've have bought it.

For the money, that is a steal... mine shoots lights out! Mine have the Lehigh kit, and FPJ bolt w/adapter. Looks like yours has the factory Knight bare primer kit (bolt/plug) installed by someone. They didn't come with those originally to my knowledge.

The good news is Im not in a hurry to sell it. Having fun with it here. Im thinking when the right person in the right financial position gets ready it will make them a fine gun they will be proud to own. Maybe dad or grandpa will buy it so son or grandson can have one just like they bought, unfired 20 some years ago. I really have a hard time with why no one shot it after all these years. I want to take it out and shoot it right now, but that privilege will go to the new owner.

Op:

I'd start with more refined requirements... Is used muzzleloader ok?

What is your time frame to buy it?

HI important is hunting in restrictive states like Idaho and Oregon?

If used is ok, and you don't want to hunt Idaho nor Oregon... I personally love the Remington 700MLS. (with the 209 kit I sell of course).

-Can use any muzzleloader safe powder/Pellet/propellant

-Typically very accurate
/deadly to beyond 100yds

-tons of accessories, stocks, scope mounts, triggers etc.

My. 02 usd

Tom

Here's something to consider https://gon.com/classified-ads/t-c-50-cal-muzzleloader I know nothing about the gun or the seller (except I got his phone number 70six-302-(9700 minus 1) ) If you are near Newnan Georgia it would sure be worth checking out. I would want more pics of the breech plug and bore and also clarity about what comes with the rifle.

I know that there have been countless discussions on good muzzleloaders. I am looking at retiring my traditions pursuit lt next year and want to begin the process of where to go next. Not looking at anything smokeless or that has a range over 1000 yds. Longest possible shot is close to 100, with most being around 50 to 70 yds. Will be using it to hunt whitetail deer in VA for 2 hard weeks out of a ladder stand. Looking for something that is accurate, dependable, groups well, will be able to last, good customer service, and is not a pain to maintain. I will be putting a scope on it, but for now just the gun. Unless I come across a good deal.

Thanks for all the advise as I know that everyone here has experience that is not found on websites or in the stores.
Fellow VA hunter here with similar requirements.

I hunt with a CVA Accura MR, and this year unused a Wolf V2 I bought and set up to be a spare ML.

I didn’t even do a load work up on the Wolf or use loose powder. I put 2x 50 gr White Hot pellets down the barrel then tried Hornady 240 XTPs. Consistent 2” groups at 100 yards and it was good to hunt.

A couple days ago at 50 yards 8536DC99-E7CA-4A79-AD35-99C8A3D7F1BC.jpeg

I think any of the current CVA muzzleloaders will fit the bill for egat you set out. I’d point out the Wokf V2 has a spacer stock, which I promptly removed to give me a shorter LOP. This is better for using in stands or blinds IMO.

Personally, I’m considering buying a Knight Mountaineer before next season, but that’s just because I want a fancy muzzleloader.

Where I hunt in western Loudoun county, my Wolf is all the ML I’d ever need for just punching tags.

Last edited:
I think as long as one is consistent with powder quantity, projectile, primer, and loading procedure they will get hunting size groups. After that most guns can be improved for accuracy with small variations but keep the consistency. You don't need a $500.00 muzzle loader to hunt and kill deer.

I think as long as one is consistent with powder quantity, projectile, primer, and loading procedure they will get hunting size groups. After that most guns can be improved for accuracy with small variations but keep the consistency. You don't need a $500.00 muzzle loader to hunt and kill deer.
I agree.

I’m also a reloader, so chasing after that extra bit of accuracy comes second nature, and I’ve carried it over into my ML shooting.

So one of the reasons for doing what I did with the Wolf I mentioned earlier, was an exercise in what I could obtain with minimal effort.

I was able to easily find a hunting accurate load with a widely available, quality hunting bullet.

Last edited:
I think as long as one is consistent with powder quantity, projectile, primer, and loading procedure they will get hunting size groups.
Having said that I believe one needs to achieve the best possible accuracy with their gun. Heres why.

Many years ago I was hunting a piece of property whose trespass I negotiated with the owner while we stood side by side at the urinals at a local bar. On the second day I heard turkeys and they were noisy. After a while I thought I would spin around the stump I was leaning against and low and behold a huge buck was making a scrape while the turkeys scratched. At about 100 yards I finally got the rifle up on the stump and was horrified at the mass of brush I was looking through. My gun of the time was an Interarms barreled action in 270 Winchester and a Tasco scope. The stock was homemade fiberglass, (before synthetic stocks were available) the action bedded, The barrel, chamber, scope mounts, crown, scope rings and chamber all lapped and polished. My work. I reloaded for it and while not a pretty rifle it shot lights out. The buck began to move to the right and eventually I found a hole ( a small hole) and killed him.

Ill get to the moral in a minute.

Years later (shooting my tricked out 338 win mag) I killed an elk so far away I wasnt sure the first bullet got there. Next I aimed 12 inches higher and let the next one go. After recovering the elk both bullets hit exactly where I expected them to.

The moral is a good shooting gun will get it done 95% of the time or maybe more. But there are those last few percent that could cost you a trophy of a lifetime.

You don't need a $500.00 muzzle loader to hunt and kill deer.
The native Americans killed big game with a sharp rock on the end of the stick, but the animals were not 300 yards away.

Some of my customers have zeroed their smokeless muzzleloaders at 300 yards, because they can shoot a 275 grain bullet at about 3,000 fps.

A good $300 break-action rifle will easily kill deer or elk out to 200 yards with no problem.

However, unless you are Idaho Lewis, you may need a more expensive rifle at longer ranges.

Latest posts

Back