Chronagraph

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
I don't have anyway to see what the volicity of a certain load is that is why I'm asking here. Has anyone actually shot this load and if so what volicity did you get. Load is 54 cal Hornady round ball .530 80 grains vol goex 2f .

I don’t have first hand data, But i do have the 2nd edition Lyman Blackpowder Handbook & Loading Manual, They only list the .535 Ball, Which will get you in the Ballpark. In a 24” barrel with 1:48 Twist, 80 Grains of Goex 2F and .535 RB, Oxyoke .015 Patch, Muzzle Velocity was 1,487 FPS

In a 28” barrel with everything the same as above, Muzzle Velocity was 1,519 FPS

Hope this helps

Idaholewis said:
I don’t have first hand data, But i do have the 2nd edition Lyman Blackpowder Handbook & Loading Manual, They only list the .535 Ball, Which will get you in the Ballpark. In a 24” barrel with 1:48 Twist, 80 Grains of Goex 2F and .535 RB, Oxyoke .015 Patch, Muzzle Velocity was 1,487 FPS

In a 28” barrel with everything the same as above, Muzzle Velocity was 1,519 FPS

Hope this helps
Yes it does thank you Lewis so the volicity in the great plains rifle should be close to that .

Rlsmith said:
Idaholewis said:

Hope this helps
Yes it does thank you Lewis so the volicity in the great plains rifle should be close to that .

Your Great Plains Rifle should be in that 1500 FPS range being it has the 28” barrel. I own a Chronograph, But truth is I rarely use the Darn thing, When i load up to go shoot a Muzzleloader I end up with a Truckload of stuff as is, The Chronograph is just another large obstacle to have to mess with :lol: I do plan to start taking it along more often tho :yeah:

I have some Hornady .530 Roundball, .015 and .018 Patches, I have 2 stock 1:48 Twist TC Barrels that i plan to work up Roundball loads in for fun shooting, When i get on this project i will take my Chronograph along and see what i end up with? I don’t have any Goex, I am a diehard fan of Swiss Powder, They Claim it to be about 10% hotter than Goex? I might Grab a Can of Goex 2F my next trip to BACO, I have always been curious to see for myself how much Velocity difference there actually is between Goex and Swiss? If i end up doing this i will pre weigh charges in Weight Grains for Precision.

1 thing i have noticed when shooting with guy’s using Goex is the amount of Sparks/Embers that exit the barrel and travel a ways, I don’t see this with Swiss Powder? I was able to watch this the other day with a good friend, Forum member Harleysboss made a Trip over to shoot Muzzleloaders with me, He was using his trusty Goex, and i was using my Swiss, He shot a Group using my Swiss, then switched and shot a Group using his Goex, With my Swiss all i seen was the puff of smoke, And when he shot his Goex i could see sparks and little embers falling for 10-15 feet out from his Muzzle, VERY VERY noticeable difference there! The Swiss Powder seems to burn more efficiently.

Yes I did notice the sparks but it is really working for me I just don't see the problem that other folks say they have in cleaning real black powder I'm really liking real black powder verses triple 7 in the side locks. I've heard the Swiss burns better than Goex but I can't find it in my area so I will shoot Goex I really love the powder and when I can shoot 3/4 inch three shot group with open sights with my old eyes at 50 yards with the great plains rifle I just don't see a man complaining.

Rlsmith said:
Yes I did notice the sparks but it is really working for me I just don't see the problem that other folks say they have in cleaning real black powder I'm really liking real black powder verses triple 7 in the side locks. I've heard the Swiss burns better than Goex but I can't find it in my area so I will shoot Goex I really love the powder and when I can shoot 3/4 inch three shot group with open sights with my old eyes at 50 yards with the great plains rifle I just don't see a man complaining.

:yeah: Goex is AWESOME powder Rl!! Awesome Reliable Ignition! Real Blackpowder is the only way to Roll :yeah:

Latest posts

Back