Chronograph ,is it neccessary

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bompa

Reaction score
With all of the postings on loads,speeds,fpe and all of the other info on them is it worth buying a chronograph ? If so what make, model,etc would you suggest ....Thank you

Absolutely. You can't even begin to work up loads without them-- otherwise, everything you do is just guessing, a tough way to cross the street.

I like the Competitions Electronics ProChrono-- it reads when the others cannot.

bompa said:
With all of the postings on loads,speeds,fpe and all of the other info on them is it worth buying a chronograph ?
Definitely YES!

I like the Competitions Electronics ProChrono-- it reads when the others cannot.
I would have to second that nomination! :yeah:

It's nice though I would say its not a nessecity- there are a lot of favorite loads posted with most of what you need bullet/grains/FPS- To me mine is just another tool if I want to work up "NEW" loads or fine tune a specific speed/powder combo to the gun- I did well before I had it using stock loads so I cant say it is a must have "tool"...Rick

getonit said:
It's nice though I would say its not a nessecity- there are a lot of favorite loads posted with most of what you need bullet/grains/FPS- To me mine is just another tool if I want to work up "NEW" loads or fine tune a specific speed/powder combo to the gun- I did well before I had it using stock loads so I cant say it is a must have "tool"...Rick

I agree with Rick, I have a Chrono but I've never used it with the Savage. I've done just fine without it. :wink:

If you plan on doing any shooting in the 200 yard plus range then yes it's an absolute must but I agree with what Randy said about working a load up...it's impossible without. Velocities vary far too much at different temperatures and elevations and with individual guns to ever properly work a load up with out knowing your gun's velocities.

Thanks for all the input.Iappreciate it. Randy where can i find the Competitions Electronic ProChrono . What accessories do you need to go with it ?...Thanks

Back